EPS or PDF export from pen

iani

Hello,

Does someone know if it is possible to export eps directly from the Pen object to file instead of going through a screen-shot. This would be needed for generating high-resolution printable vector graphics with SC. Are there any efforts out there to generate PDF code directly from SC? Although it may sound too much trouble, I know that there exist such packages in other interpreted languages such as Python, so it might be possible to cook something there.

Thanks,

Iannis Zannos

Re: EPS or PDF export from pen

Stelios Manousakis
Hi Iannis,

Maybe using SCImage to grab and save it to disk what you need?
Here is an example:

// draw a test image (example taken from the SCPen helpfile)
(
        w = Window.new.front;
        w.dump;
        w.view.background_(Color.white);
        w.drawHook = {
            80.do{
                // set the Color
                Pen.color = Color.green(rrand(0.0, 1), rrand(0.0, 0.5));
                Pen.addRect(
                    Rect(20, 20, (w.bounds.width-40).rand, (w.bounds.height-40).rand)
                );
                Pen.perform([\stroke, \fill].choose);
            }
        };
        w.refresh;
        )

// grab it with SCImage
g = SCImage.fromWindow(w, Rect(0, 0, 512, 512));
g.plot(freeOnClose:true);
// write the image to disk
g.write("~/Desktop/my_drawing.png");
w.close;

I hope that helps,

Stelios

--
*********************** ***********************
Stelios Manousakis
*********************** ***********************

Re: EPS or PDF export from pen

Julian Rohrhuber
Hi Iannis,

yes, it is possible. Just print the window and save it as pdf.
This is only possible when you use Window.drawHook IIRC, and not with UserView.drawFunc.
I don't know of a command line level solution.

On 31.10.2010, at 05:03, Iannis Zannos wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Does someone know if it is possible to export eps directly from the Pen object to file instead of going through a screen-shot. This would be needed for generating high-resolution printable vector graphics with SC. Are there any efforts out there to generate PDF code directly from SC? Although it may sound too much trouble, I know that there exist such packages in other interpreted languages such as Python, so it might be possible to cook something there.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Iannis Zannos

Re: EPS or PDF export from pen

Fredrik Olofsson
no, these days pdf printing also works with userview's drawFunc.  it
was just that in sc versions <3.4 the vector graphics got messed up
when printing a userview.  you'd get the bitmap instead and the
resulting picture would look jagged when zoomed in.

also note that a screenshot won't give you vector graphics.  printing/
exporting to pdf is the way.  it should look like in the attached pdf
where you can zoom in indefinitely and the line is still not
pixelated.  and yes, it'd be nice to have that as a built in command.
_f

(
var width= 500, height= 500;
var win= Window("rUsr", Rect(300, 300, width, height), false);
var usr= UserView(win, Rect(0, 0, width, height));
usr.background= Color.white;
usr.drawFunc= {
        Pen.width= 1;
        Pen.strokeColor= Color.red;
        Pen.strokeOval(Rect(30, 30, 300, 300));
};
win.front;
)
//print and save as pdf

31 okt 2010 kl. 09.46 skrev Julian Rohrhuber:

> Hi Iannis,
>
> yes, it is possible. Just print the window and save it as pdf.
> This is only possible when you use Window.drawHook IIRC, and not
> with UserView.drawFunc.
> I don't know of a command line level solution.
>

> On 31.10.2010, at 05:03, Iannis Zannos wrote:
>

>> Hello,
>>
>> Does someone know if it is possible to export eps directly from the
>> Pen object to file instead of going through a screen-shot. This
>> would be needed for generating high-resolution printable vector
>> graphics with SC. Are there any efforts out there to generate PDF
>> code directly from SC? Although it may sound too much trouble, I
>> know that there exist such packages in other interpreted languages
>> such as Python, so it might be possible to cook something there.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Iannis Zannos

   #|
      fredrikolofsson.com     musicalfieldsforever.com
   |#

rUsr.pdf (3K) Download Attachment

Re: EPS or PDF export from pen

ddw_music
On Sun, Oct 31, 2010 at 6:28 PM, Fredrik Olofsson <[hidden email]> wrote:
no, these days pdf printing also works with userview's drawFunc.  it was just that in sc versions <3.4 the vector graphics got messed up when printing a userview.  you'd get the bitmap instead and the resulting picture would look jagged when zoomed in.

also note that a screenshot won't give you vector graphics.  printing/exporting to pdf is the way.  it should look like in the attached pdf where you can zoom in indefinitely and the line is still not pixelated.  and yes, it'd be nice to have that as a built in command.

I think sciss made some hack for SwingOSC that would do the same, somewhere in the list archives.

SuperCute is a good chance to make a standard method for this :)

James Harkins /// dewdrop world
[hidden email]
http://www.dewdrop-world.net

"Come said the Muse,
Sing me a song no poet has yet chanted,
Sing me the universal."  -- Whitman

Re: EPS or PDF export from pen

contact
there's one in SuperCollider/examples/PDF_Export . however is a bit dated (uses iTextPDF version 2); it's true, there is an update for iTextPDF 5 on the mailing list:

http://www.listarc.bham.ac.uk/lists/sc-dev/msg16127.html

i should update that in the examples folder.

best, -sciss

Am 31.10.2010 um 11:37 schrieb James Harkins:

> On Sun, Oct 31, 2010 at 6:28 PM, Fredrik Olofsson <[hidden email]> wrote:
> no, these days pdf printing also works with userview's drawFunc.  it was just that in sc versions <3.4 the vector graphics got messed up when printing a userview.  you'd get the bitmap instead and the resulting picture would look jagged when zoomed in.
>
> also note that a screenshot won't give you vector graphics.  printing/exporting to pdf is the way.  it should look like in the attached pdf where you can zoom in indefinitely and the line is still not pixelated.  and yes, it'd be nice to have that as a built in command.
>
> I think sciss made some hack for SwingOSC that would do the same, somewhere in the list archives.
>
> SuperCute is a good chance to make a standard method for this :)
> hjh
>
> --
> James Harkins /// dewdrop world
> [hidden email]
> http://www.dewdrop-world.net
>
> "Come said the Muse,
> Sing me a song no poet has yet chanted,
> Sing me the universal."  -- Whitman
>
> blog: http://www.dewdrop-world.net/words
> audio clips: http://www.dewdrop-world.net/audio
> more audio: http://soundcloud.com/dewdrop_world/tracks

Re: EPS or PDF export from pen

mailinglists-2
Hi guys,

one other option worth mentioning here is a (kind of hidden) part of
wslib: Function:asPostScript.

It writes a .ps file which can be opened in Preview.app to convert to
pdf, or converted directly if you have GhostScript installed on your
machine. It is quite old code, so there might be some flaws against
the current sc, and it is incomplete (for example transparencies won't
work). But for simple stuff it does the trick. There are these
methods: Function:asPostScript, Function:writePostScript and
Function:writePDF. They are also available for SVGFile (which is also
an interesting vector graphic interchange format - and a well-
documented part of wslib).

( // result attached
{ 100.do({
        Pen.color = Color.rand;
        Pen.line(
                (10 rrand: 380)@(10 rrand: 380),
                (10 rrand: 380)@(10 rrand: 380) ).stroke;
        });
}.writePDF( "~/Desktop/test.pdf" );
)

Op 31 okt 2010, om 11:44 heeft Sciss het volgende geschreven:

> there's one in SuperCollider/examples/PDF_Export . however is a bit
> dated (uses iTextPDF version 2); it's true, there is an update for
> iTextPDF 5 on the mailing list:
>
> http://www.listarc.bham.ac.uk/lists/sc-dev/msg16127.html
>
> i should update that in the examples folder.
>
> best, -sciss
>

> Am 31.10.2010 um 11:37 schrieb James Harkins:
>
>> On Sun, Oct 31, 2010 at 6:28 PM, Fredrik Olofsson <[hidden email]
>> > wrote:
>> no, these days pdf printing also works with userview's drawFunc.
>> it was just that in sc versions <3.4 the vector graphics got messed
>> up when printing a userview.  you'd get the bitmap instead and the
>> resulting picture would look jagged when zoomed in.
>>
>> also note that a screenshot won't give you vector graphics.
>> printing/exporting to pdf is the way.  it should look like in the
>> attached pdf where you can zoom in indefinitely and the line is
>> still not pixelated.  and yes, it'd be nice to have that as a built
>> in command.
>>
>> I think sciss made some hack for SwingOSC that would do the same,
>> somewhere in the list archives.
>>
>> SuperCute is a good chance to make a standard method for this :)
>> hjh
>>
>> --
>> James Harkins /// dewdrop world
>> [hidden email]
>> http://www.dewdrop-world.net
>>
>> "Come said the Muse,
>> Sing me a song no poet has yet chanted,
>> Sing me the universal."  -- Whitman
>>
>> blog: http://www.dewdrop-world.net/words
>> audio clips: http://www.dewdrop-world.net/audio
>> more audio: http://soundcloud.com/dewdrop_world/tracks

test.pdf (5K) Download Attachment

Re: EPS or PDF export from pen

Stelios Manousakis
Wow, no idea it was •that• simple!...

Stelios

--
*********************** ***********************
Stelios Manousakis
*********************** ***********************

Re: EPS or PDF export from pen

iani

Many thanks to all. So many techniques ...

Wouter: your example works, except only as ps file. The pdf file cannot open "because it is empty" (?)

Best,

Iannis Zannos

--
*********************** ***********************
Stelios Manousakis

Re: EPS or PDF export from pen

mailinglists-2
Hi Iannos,

well, the pdf only works if you have an open source commandline
package named GhostScript installed.  You can get it at www.ghostscript.com
. If it still doesn't work after you installed GhostScript, please let
me know.

Otherwise indeed only the ps version works. You should be able to
convert the ps to pdf by opening it in Preview.app and saving as pdf
too.

cheers,
Wouter
Op 31 okt 2010, om 23:54 heeft Iannis Zannos het volgende geschreven:

> Many thanks to all. So many techniques ...
>
> Wouter: your example works, except only as ps file. The pdf file
> cannot open "because it is empty" (?)
>
> Best,
>
> Iannis Zannos
>
> On Sun, Oct 31, 2010 at 7:49 PM, stelios manousakis <[hidden email]
> > wrote:
> Wow, no idea it was •that• simple!...
>
> Stelios
>

> On Sun, Oct 31, 2010 at 3:28 AM, Fredrik Olofsson <[hidden email]
> > wrote:
> no, these days pdf printing also works with userview's drawFunc.  it
> was just that in sc versions <3.4 the vector graphics got messed up
> when printing a userview.  you'd get the bitmap instead and the
> resulting picture would look jagged when zoomed in.
>
> also note that a screenshot won't give you vector graphics.
> printing/exporting to pdf is the way.  it should look like in the
> attached pdf where you can zoom in indefinitely and the line is
> still not pixelated.  and yes, it'd be nice to have that as a built
> in command.
> _f
>

> (
> var width= 500, height= 500;
> var win= Window("rUsr", Rect(300, 300, width, height), false);
> var usr= UserView(win, Rect(0, 0, width, height));
> usr.background= Color.white;
> usr.drawFunc= {
>        Pen.width= 1;
>        Pen.strokeColor= Color.red;
>        Pen.strokeOval(Rect(30, 30, 300, 300));
> };
> win.front;
> )
> //print and save as pdf
>

> 31 okt 2010 kl. 09.46 skrev Julian Rohrhuber:
>

> Hi Iannis,
>
> yes, it is possible. Just print the window and save it as pdf.
> This is only possible when you use Window.drawHook IIRC, and not
> with UserView.drawFunc.
> I don't know of a command line level solution.
>

> On 31.10.2010, at 05:03, Iannis Zannos wrote:
>

> Hello,
>
> Does someone know if it is possible to export eps directly from the
> Pen object to file instead of going through a screen-shot. This
> would be needed for generating high-resolution printable vector
> graphics with SC. Are there any efforts out there to generate PDF
> code directly from SC? Although it may sound too much trouble, I
> know that there exist such packages in other interpreted languages
> such as Python, so it might be possible to cook something there.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Iannis Zannos
>

>  #|
>     fredrikolofsson.com     musicalfieldsforever.com
>  |#
>

> --
> *********************** ***********************
> Stelios Manousakis
> www.modularbrains.net

Re: EPS or PDF export from pen

paum
maybe something has changed, but it won't work.

WARNING: GUI schemes are not supported any more. You may continue to use GUI
for skins though

ps file only contains info abou paper size, no image info inside.

Re: EPS or PDF export from pen

ddw_music
paum wrote
> maybe something has changed, but it won't work.
>
> WARNING: GUI schemes are not supported any more. You may continue to use
> GUI
> for skins though

In fairness, the advice in this thread is *eight years* old (2010). Rather a
lot has changed.

I'm not at the computer now and I forget the exact command, but as I recall,
it's easier to make pdf or ps from a user view now. I can look it up later.

Re: EPS or PDF export from pen

ddw_music
ddw_music wrote
> I'm not at the computer now and I forget the exact command, but as I
> recall,
> it's easier to make pdf or ps from a user view now. I can look it up
> later.

Example. The details of QPenPrinter are a little trickier than I expected,
but once I got all the bits in the right place, I got a clean PDF.

u = UserView(nil, Rect(800, 200, 400, 400)).front;

(
u.drawFunc_({ |view|
        var scale = 18 ** (1/101), rotate = 2pi / 101,
        center = view.bounds.moveTo(0, 0).center;
        Pen.translate(center.x, center.y);
        101.do { |i|
                Pen.color_(Color.grey(i / 100))
                .width_(0.5)
                .scale(scale, scale)
                .rotate(rotate, 0, 0)
                .strokeRect(Rect(-10, -10, 20, 20));
        };
}).refresh;
)

QPenPrinter.new.showDialog({ |qp| qp.print(u.drawFunc) });

Re: EPS or PDF export from pen

paum
Thank you for quick response! ( and nice picture .)

yes, I have found this way before, but my aim is to do it without this
window, I have to click ok. I need to have this process automated.

paum

Re: EPS or PDF export from pen

ddw_music
paum wrote
> yes, I have found this way before, but my aim is to do it without this
> window, I have to click ok. I need to have this process automated.

Ohh... it looks like there's no programming interface to set the export
properties. That's unfortunate.

The help file does say you can make one instance of QPenPrinter, run the
dialog once, and reuse the instance many times. It would require user input
the first time after recompiling the class library, but be automatic after
that. (Make sure to move the result file to a different place and filename
after each export, though.)

That would be a good feature request.

Re: EPS or PDF export from pen

paum
yes. good point. it should have programming interface.
thank you for responses.

Re: EPS or PDF export from pen

julian.rohrhuber

> On 10.02.2018, at 07:24, [hidden email] wrote:
>
> paum wrote
>> yes, I have found this way before, but my aim is to do it without this
>> window, I have to click ok. I need to have this process automated.
>
> Ohh... it looks like there's no programming interface to set the export
> properties. That's unfortunate.
>
> The help file does say you can make one instance of QPenPrinter, run the
> dialog once, and reuse the instance many times. It would require user input
> the first time after recompiling the class library, but be automatic after
> that. (Make sure to move the result file to a different place and filename
> after each export, though.)
>
> That would be a good feature request.

Maybe that happens via here:

https://github.com/supercollider/supercollider/pull/3165