Instr.loadAll doesn't work as expected, what happened to PlayerPool?

Instr.loadAll doesn't work as expected, what happened to PlayerPool?

Henricus J. Holtman
I'm trying to grapple with crucial-library. I also have cxaudio loaded.
When I execute Instr.loadAll and then execute Library.postTree, I see
no Instr there from the various Instr directories like I would expect.
Also what happened to PlayerPool?

                 Thank You for Your Attention

--
Entropy always wins.

Re: Instr.loadAll doesn't work as expected, what happened to PlayerPool?

Henricus J. Holtman
I'm running 3.9dev, crucial-library, and cxaudio. When I run
Instr.loadAll, I
expect my Library to get loaded with all the Instr from cxaudio. But instead
it apparently doesn't do anything.

When I look at the code for Instr,loadAll

     *loadAll {
         this.prLoadDir(this.dir);
         this.prLoadDir(Platform.userExtensionDir ++ "/quarks/*/Instr");
     }

and:

Platform.userExtensionDir is
/home/clfest/.local/share/SuperCollider/Extensions
which doesn't even exist on my box, so it seems crucial-library is out
of sync
with 3.9dev. Is there any way to recover this functionality?

On 12/11/2017 02:20 AM, [hidden email] wrote:
> I'm trying to grapple with crucial-library. I also have cxaudio loaded.
> When I execute Instr.loadAll and then execute Library.postTree, I see
> no Instr there from the various Instr directories like I would expect.
> Also what happened to PlayerPool?
>
>                 Thank You for Your Attention

--
Entropy always wins.

Re: Instr.loadAll doesn't work as expected, what happened to PlayerPool?

ddw_music
Henricus J. Holtman wrote

> When I look at the code for Instr,loadAll
>
>      *loadAll {
>          this.prLoadDir(this.dir);
>          this.prLoadDir(Platform.userExtensionDir ++ "/quarks/*/Instr");
>      }
>
> and:
>
> Platform.userExtensionDir is
> /home/clfest/.local/share/SuperCollider/Extensions
> which doesn't even exist on my box, so it seems crucial-library is out
> of sync
> with 3.9dev. Is there any way to recover this functionality?

It's a known issue.

https://github.com/crucialfelix/crucial-library/issues/8

Unfortunately, it hasn't been fixed in the 1.5 years since the issue was
opened.

The problem is that the Quarks system has changed a lot in the five years
since `loadAll` has been touched. Instr is out of date.

As a workaround, you can get the local directory for cxaudio from the Quarks
system:

Quarks.at("cxaudio").localPath

... and then pass this to Instr.prLoadDir:

Instr.prLoadDir(Quarks.at("cxaudio").localPath);

I think that should work -- I haven't tested it myself.

I'll go ahead and add a link to this thread into the issue report.

Re: Instr.loadAll doesn't work as expected, what happened to PlayerPool?

Henricus J. Holtman
The correct command seems to be

Instr.prLoadDir(Quarks.at("cxaudio").localPath ++ "/Instr");

this loads all instruments in cxaudio in 3.9dev into Library. It seems
like one
could get any loaded quarks Instr by simply substituting that Quarks name
for cxaudio.

Unfortunately, to find out all loaded quarks in 3.9dev which is what
Instr.loadAll
requires, involves reengineering of the internals of loadAll.

On 12/16/2017 12:02 AM, [hidden email] wrote:

> Henricus J. Holtman wrote
>> When I look at the code for Instr,loadAll
>>
>>       *loadAll {
>>           this.prLoadDir(this.dir);
>>           this.prLoadDir(Platform.userExtensionDir ++ "/quarks/*/Instr");
>>       }
>>
>> and:
>>
>> Platform.userExtensionDir is
>> /home/clfest/.local/share/SuperCollider/Extensions
>> which doesn't even exist on my box, so it seems crucial-library is out
>> of sync
>> with 3.9dev. Is there any way to recover this functionality?
> It's a known issue.
>
> https://github.com/crucialfelix/crucial-library/issues/8
>
> Unfortunately, it hasn't been fixed in the 1.5 years since the issue was
> opened.
>
> The problem is that the Quarks system has changed a lot in the five years
> since `loadAll` has been touched. Instr is out of date.
>
> As a workaround, you can get the local directory for cxaudio from the Quarks
> system:
>
> Quarks.at("cxaudio").localPath
>
> ... and then pass this to Instr.prLoadDir:
>
> Instr.prLoadDir(Quarks.at("cxaudio").localPath);
>
> I think that should work -- I haven't tested it myself.
>
> I'll go ahead and add a link to this thread into the issue report.
>
> hjh

Entropy always wins.

Re: Instr.loadAll doesn't work as expected, what happened to PlayerPool?

Henricus J. Holtman
It seems the sclang for 3.9dev has something like the routine we want for
properly selecting what quarks are active for Instr.loadAll, because after
init the interpreter has loaded only those quarks. Where is it? It seems
like that chunk could be mangled to make Instr.loadAll work properly.

On 12/17/2017 12:13 AM, [hidden email] wrote:

> The correct command seems to be
>
> Instr.prLoadDir(Quarks.at("cxaudio").localPath ++ "/Instr");
>
> this loads all instruments in cxaudio in 3.9dev into Library. It seems
> like one
> could get any loaded quarks Instr by simply substituting that Quarks name
> for cxaudio.
>
> Unfortunately, to find out all loaded quarks in 3.9dev which is what
> Instr.loadAll
> requires, involves reengineering of the internals of loadAll.
>
>                 Thank You For Your Attention

>> Henricus J. Holtman wrote
>>> When I look at the code for Instr,loadAll
>>>
>>>       *loadAll {
>>>           this.prLoadDir(this.dir);
>>>           this.prLoadDir(Platform.userExtensionDir ++
>>> "/quarks/*/Instr");
>>>       }
>>>
>>> and:
>>>
>>> Platform.userExtensionDir is
>>> /home/clfest/.local/share/SuperCollider/Extensions
>>> which doesn't even exist on my box, so it seems crucial-library is out
>>> of sync
>>> with 3.9dev. Is there any way to recover this functionality?
>> It's a known issue.
>>
>> https://github.com/crucialfelix/crucial-library/issues/8
>>
>> Unfortunately, it hasn't been fixed in the 1.5 years since the issue was
>> opened.
>>
>> The problem is that the Quarks system has changed a lot in the five
>> years
>> since `loadAll` has been touched. Instr is out of date.
>>
>> As a workaround, you can get the local directory for cxaudio from the
>> Quarks
>> system:
>>
>> Quarks.at("cxaudio").localPath
>>
>> ... and then pass this to Instr.prLoadDir:
>>
>> Instr.prLoadDir(Quarks.at("cxaudio").localPath);
>>
>> I think that should work -- I haven't tested it myself.
>>
>> I'll go ahead and add a link to this thread into the issue report.
>>
>> hjh
>>

>> --
>> Sent from:

Entropy always wins.

Re: Instr.loadAll doesn't work as expected, what happened to PlayerPool?

ddw_music
Henricus J. Holtman wrote
> It seems the sclang for 3.9dev has something like the routine we want for
> properly selecting what quarks are active for Instr.loadAll, because after
> init the interpreter has loaded only those quarks. Where is it? It seems
> like that chunk could be mangled to make Instr.loadAll work properly.

In the new Quarks system, Quarks are checked out into the
[user-support]/downloaded-quarks directory -- every quark that you ever
downloaded, whether installed or not.

"Installing a quark" now means adding it to LanguageConfig.includePaths:

LanguageConfig.includePaths.select(_.contains("quarks")).collect(_.basename)
-> [ crucial-library, ddwCommon, ddwPrototype, ddwGUIEnhancements,
ddwMixerChannel, ddwPatterns, ddwTemperament, ddwEQ, ddwMIDI,
ddwPeakMonitor, ddwSensitivity, ddwStatusBox, ddwVoicer, dewdrop_lib, XML,
Wavesets, TabbedView, MathLib, LinuxExternal, KMeans, JITLibExtensions,
ddwSnippets, JoshMisc, ddwChucklib, ddwChucklib-livecode, ddwTimeline ]

The old system created a symbolic link under Extensions to the quark
download. We had to drop that because Windows doesn't support symbolic links
(and Windows "shortcuts" to files don't work with the SC library compiler).

So "LanguageConfig.includePaths" is now the place to look for installed
quarks.

Re: Instr.loadAll doesn't work as expected, what happened to PlayerPool?

Henricus J. Holtman
So, the code for restoring the functionality of Intsr.loadAll seems to be:

l = {
Instr.prLoadDir(Instr.dir);
LanguageConfig.includePaths.select(_.contains("quarks")).do
     {|quark| Instr.prLoadDir(quark ++ "/Instr") };
};

and:

l.value

will load them all.

Entropy always wins.

Re: Instr.loadAll doesn't work as expected, what happened to PlayerPool?

ddw_music
crucialfelix wrote
> A pull request would really help.  Many people have used this library over
> the years but there has only been one pull request ever.
>
> https://github.com/crucialfelix/crucial-library

I'll have a go at it later. Need to check the docs and the code to be really
clear what's expected to be loaded. Otherwise a PR will break, rather than
fix.

Re: Instr.loadAll doesn't work as expected, what happened to PlayerPool?

crucialfelix
Fixed and released

crucialfelix wrote

fix.

Re: Instr.loadAll doesn't work as expected, what happened to PlayerPool?

ddw_music
crucialfelix wrote
> Fixed and released

First, glad to hear that... and second, sorry that it dropped off my radar
(though, the way things are going with me and git lately, I'm certain I
would have found a way to mess it up :D )... I had said I would look at it
but then I forgot... my bad.