It's time for AudioIn to go

Charles Céleste Hutchins
If there's any way to generate a deprecated warning when compiling synthdefs, I'd strongly support adding one for AudioIn.ar. Or, if not, it's time to retire the UGen.

The amount of time taken up by users having to rewrite their old UGens is surely less than the amount of time consumed over the last decade by forgetful users thinking 'Hmmm, I want to get Audio In, what's the UGen for getting Audio In?'

This is much more a trap with the sever now defaulting to 2 channels of audio in, as things can appear to be fine through several revisions, until a hapless user decides to add a few more inputs and the everything goes to hell.

Someone could spend hours searching for a bug....

Re: It's time for AudioIn to go

brianlheim
Hi Les,

AudioIn has luckily already been deprecated in the upcoming 3.9 release:

https://github.com/supercollider/supercollider/pull/2482

I agree that it was long overdue.

Regards,
Brian