Multichannel Expanding and Recording

emma.sue.mack
Hi All-
I'm having a little trouble with my code and I was hoping someone
could fill me in.

I'm trying to use the DiskOut Example to get 8 discrete channels of audio.

With the // something to record SynthDef, I've changed it to a PanAz
and added an argument for "out".

SynthDef("bubbles", {
   arg out;
    var f, zout;
    f = LFSaw.kr(0.4, 0, 24, LFSaw.kr([8,7.23], 0, 3, 80)).midicps; //
glissando function
   zout = PanAz.ar(8, CombN.ar(SinOsc.ar(f, 0, 0.04), 0.2, 0.2, 4),
LFDNoise1.ar(2)); // echoing sine wave
   Out.ar(out, zout);
}).add;
)

But I need to put [0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7]  as the argument, in order
to get activity across the 8 channels. I'm unclear on why that is.

From there, I follow the help file pretty closely, except that I've
changed the argument to record 2 channels to record 8 channels.

What I would like to do is record on 8 separated channels, though -
not a single 8-channel chunk. Is there a way to do this? Or is there
an easy way to break apart an 8-channel chunk? I've seen some
complicated-looking software that does it, but I'm hoping there is
something more straight-forward.

Thank you,
Sue

Re: Multichannel Expanding and Recording

emma.sue.mack
Oh, I should also mention that I seem to get certain crackly glitches
when I record for a little while... Is there advice on how to minimize
that behavior?

On Fri, May 19, 2017 at 4:41 AM, Emma Sue Mack <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi All-
> I'm having a little trouble with my code and I was hoping someone
> could fill me in.
>
> I'm trying to use the DiskOut Example to get 8 discrete channels of audio.
>
> With the // something to record SynthDef, I've changed it to a PanAz
> and added an argument for "out".
>
> SynthDef("bubbles", {
>    arg out;
>     var f, zout;
>     f = LFSaw.kr(0.4, 0, 24, LFSaw.kr([8,7.23], 0, 3, 80)).midicps; //
> glissando function
>    zout = PanAz.ar(8, CombN.ar(SinOsc.ar(f, 0, 0.04), 0.2, 0.2, 4),
> LFDNoise1.ar(2)); // echoing sine wave
>    Out.ar(out, zout);
> }).add;
> )
>
> But I need to put [0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7]  as the argument, in order
> to get activity across the 8 channels. I'm unclear on why that is.
>
> From there, I follow the help file pretty closely, except that I've
> changed the argument to record 2 channels to record 8 channels.
>
> What I would like to do is record on 8 separated channels, though -
> not a single 8-channel chunk. Is there a way to do this? Or is there
> an easy way to break apart an 8-channel chunk? I've seen some
> complicated-looking software that does it, but I'm hoping there is
> something more straight-forward.
>
> Thank you,
> Sue

Re: Multichannel Expanding and Recording

alberto.decampo

> On 19/05/2017, at 10:45 , [hidden email] wrote:
>
> Oh, I should also mention that I seem to get certain crackly glitches
> when I record for a little while... Is there advice on how to minimize
> that behavior?

have you tried increasing the recordbuffer size ?
that would be the first thing to check.

reg. multichannel vs multifile recording:
I would expect recording to be more stable and reliable when recoding all channels to a single file.

For simple splitting and joining of multichannel <-> multiple mono files,
Scott Wilson made a very nice OSX app called De-Interleaver:
http://www.birmingham.ac.uk/facilities/ea-studios/research/mulch.aspx

best adc

> On Fri, May 19, 2017 at 4:41 AM, Emma Sue Mack <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi All-
>> I'm having a little trouble with my code and I was hoping someone
>> could fill me in.
>>
>> I'm trying to use the DiskOut Example to get 8 discrete channels of audio.
>>
>> With the // something to record SynthDef, I've changed it to a PanAz
>> and added an argument for "out".
>>
>> SynthDef("bubbles", {
>>   arg out;
>>    var f, zout;
>>    f = LFSaw.kr(0.4, 0, 24, LFSaw.kr([8,7.23], 0, 3, 80)).midicps; //
>> glissando function
>>   zout = PanAz.ar(8, CombN.ar(SinOsc.ar(f, 0, 0.04), 0.2, 0.2, 4),
>> LFDNoise1.ar(2)); // echoing sine wave
>>   Out.ar(out, zout);
>> }).add;
>> )
>>
>> But I need to put [0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7]  as the argument, in order
>> to get activity across the 8 channels. I'm unclear on why that is.
>>
>> From there, I follow the help file pretty closely, except that I've
>> changed the argument to record 2 channels to record 8 channels.
>>
>> What I would like to do is record on 8 separated channels, though -
>> not a single 8-channel chunk. Is there a way to do this? Or is there
>> an easy way to break apart an 8-channel chunk? I've seen some
>> complicated-looking software that does it, but I'm hoping there is
>> something more straight-forward.
>>
>> Thank you,
>> Sue

Re: Multichannel Expanding and Recording

lfsaw

> On 19. May 2017, at 12:04, [hidden email] wrote:
>
> For simple splitting and joining of multichannel <-> multiple mono files,
> Scott Wilson made a very nice OSX app called De-Interleaver:
> http://www.birmingham.ac.uk/facilities/ea-studios/research/mulch.aspx

"wave agent" by SoundDevices works very well for that matter (it's free and you can split/combine files with arbitrary channel layouts).

        https://www.sounddevices.com/products/accessories/software/wave-agent

another option (for command-line junkies and people wanting to automate the process) is to use sndfile-deinterleave / sndfile-interleave. It might already be installed on your computer (sndfile is a SuperCollider dependancy).

hope this helps :)
        Till