Quantcast

Phase-aligned formant (PAF) generator

Xon

Phase-aligned formant (PAF) generator

Xon
Hello,

Has anyone tried to implement the Phase-aligned formant (PAF) generator :

http://msp.ucsd.edu/techniques/v0.11/book-html/node96.html

either as a synthDef or better a UGen and would like to share it ?

Thanks,
Christophe

Re: Phase-aligned formant (PAF) generator

Joseph Anderson-4
Hello Christophe,

The PAF technique is just a specific form of formant synthesis via what I prefer to call "wavepacket synthesis". While I haven't looked at the details of implementation, SuperCollider's Formant oscillator is a "synchronous wavepacket synthesizer" and will generate spectra similar to PAF.

Something useful to remember, people come up with lots of different names so they can continue to apply for patents for the same basic techniques....

Hope this helps!

Dr Joseph Anderson | Research Scientist

DXARTS, Box 353414

University of Washington

Seattle, WA 98195-3680

http://www.dxarts.washington.edu

Subscribe to our events list to receive email updates about lectures, performances, exhibitions and more.

On Sat, Mar 18, 2017 at 4:18 PM, Xon <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,

Has anyone tried to implement the Phase-aligned formant (PAF) generator :

http://msp.ucsd.edu/techniques/v0.11/book-html/node96.html
<http://msp.ucsd.edu/techniques/v0.11/book-html/node96.html>

either as a synthDef or better a UGen and would like to share it ?

Thanks,
Christophe

Re: Phase-aligned formant (PAF) generator

Orm Finnendahl
Am Montag, den 20. März 2017 um 11:25:34 Uhr (-0700) schrieb Joseph Anderson:

> Something useful to remember, people come up with lots of different names
> so they can continue to apply for patents for the same basic techniques....

I would suspect it's the opposite reason: As IRCAM actually *has*
patented the PAF algorithm in 1994, these techniques are forced to get
a new name and algorithm in order to be legally useable in the context
of a published open source software.

--
Orm

Re: Phase-aligned formant (PAF) generator

Nick Collins-2
I call patents 'cumbersomes'. I intended to cumbersome my own framework for IP management, based on the existing technique, but found that the process of applying to change the patent system was itself protected by a ...

>> Something useful to remember, people come up with lots of different names
>> so they can continue to apply for patents for the same basic techniques....

Re: Phase-aligned formant (PAF) generator

Julian Rohrhuber-3

> On 21.03.2017, at 10:22, Nick Collins <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I call patents 'cumbersomes'. I intended to cumbersome my own framework for IP management, based on the existing technique, but found that the process of applying to change the patent system was itself protected by a ...
>
>>> Something useful to remember, people come up with lots of different names
>>> so they can continue to apply for patents for the same basic techniques....

Yes, I also found out that patents are patented:

http://www.wertlos.org/~rohrhuber/articles/Rohrhuber_Intractable_Mobiles.pdf