Problem installing scvim on MacOS Sierra

Problem installing scvim on MacOS Sierra

kflak
Hi list,

I'm trying my hands on scvim, but can't seem to get it to work, and yesterday's efforts led me to have to trash my current installation of SC and reinstall it from skratch :-/
I have used Vundle to install the bundle, but linking this up to SC is not really working. This line is not happening:
ln -s ~/.vim/bundle/scvim/sc/SCVim.sc ~/Library/Application\ Support/SuperCollider/Extensions/SCVim.sc

The path ~/.vim/bundle/scvim/sc/SCVim.sc is now ~/.vim/bundle/scvim/SCVim.scd as far as I can tell, but the main issue seems to be the symlink. I had to create the Extensions folder manually, but this prevented SCIDE from recompiling library...

Any thoughts or a detailed, step-by-step instruction on how to set this up would be extremely appreciated!

Kenneth

Re: Problem installing scvim on MacOS Sierra

Rainer Schuetz

On 20 Mar 2017, at 10:17, kflak <[hidden email]> wrote:

ln -s ~/.vim/bundle/scvim/sc/SCVim.sc ~/Library/Application\
Support/SuperCollider/Extensions/SCVim.sc

The path ~/.vim/bundle/scvim/sc/SCVim.sc is now
~/.vim/bundle/scvim/SCVim.scd as far as I can tell, but the main issue seems
to be the symlink. I had to create the Extensions folder manually, but this
prevented SCIDE from recompiling library...

Any thoughts or a detailed, step-by-step instruction on how to set this up
would be extremely appreciated!

Hi Kflak,

sorry you got struck by this. The scvim module is currently kind of in a state of being resurrected, and troubles of this sort are likely to occur while people move on to the latest version. Sorry again.

The good news is, your problem can be fixed rather easily:

SCVim.sc should be copied,  or better symlinked, to a subfolder of the one you already created:

~/Library/Application Support/Extensions/scvim/SCVim.sc

And there should be no other copy of SCVim.sc around in places where sclang looks for classfiles.

If the classfile is in a subfolder "scvim" you will not get the startup problem in SCIDE, and scvim itself will still see the file.

But may I ask: where is the line you are referring to?:

`ln -s ~/.vim/bundle/scvim/sc/SCVim.sc ~/Library/Application\ Support/SuperCollider/Extensions/SCVim.sc`

The line does actually look correct to me, how come you have `~/.vim/bundle/scvim/SCVim.scd`?

I also use vundle, but I don't remember how the classfile went where it belongs. For me the folder structure inside the bundle is `~/.vim/bundle/scvim/sc/SCVim.sc` though.

And may I also know: from which link did you clone scvim (the one you had to enter when you added the plugin to vundle)?

Best
.r.

Re: Problem installing scvim on MacOS Sierra

kflak
Hi Rainer,

I did, in the end, manage to get it up and running. The problem turned out to be that I had written
Plugin 'scvim'
in my .vimrc file. When I changed this to
Plugin 'sbl/scvim'
and reinstalled the plugins I was good to go. Now I'm trying to figure out how to get the terminal window to open in a split pane rather than in a separate tab :-) (I use iTerm2) Trying my hands on AppleScript to make it happen, but maybe there are better ways?

The SCVim.scd file was something that appeared in the .vim/bundle when I installed the plugin the first time, but it didn't reappear after reinstalling...

Kenneth

Rainer Schuetz wrote
> On 20 Mar 2017, at 10:17, kflak <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> ln -s ~/.vim/bundle/scvim/sc/SCVim.sc ~/Library/Application\
> Support/SuperCollider/Extensions/SCVim.sc
>
> The path ~/.vim/bundle/scvim/sc/SCVim.sc is now
> ~/.vim/bundle/scvim/SCVim.scd as far as I can tell, but the main issue seems
> to be the symlink. I had to create the Extensions folder manually, but this
> prevented SCIDE from recompiling library...
>
> Any thoughts or a detailed, step-by-step instruction on how to set this up
> would be extremely appreciated!

Hi Kflak,

sorry you got struck by this. The scvim module is currently kind of in a state of being resurrected, and troubles of this sort are likely to occur while people move on to the latest version. Sorry again.

The good news is, your problem can be fixed rather easily:

SCVim.sc should be copied,  or better symlinked, to a subfolder of the one you already created:

~/Library/Application Support/Extensions/scvim/SCVim.sc

And there should be no other copy of SCVim.sc around in places where sclang looks for classfiles.

If the classfile is in a subfolder "scvim" you will not get the startup problem in SCIDE, and scvim itself will still see the file.

But may I ask: where is the line you are referring to?:

`ln -s ~/.vim/bundle/scvim/sc/SCVim.sc ~/Library/Application\ Support/SuperCollider/Extensions/SCVim.sc`

The line does actually look correct to me, how come you have `~/.vim/bundle/scvim/SCVim.scd`?

I also use vundle, but I don't remember how the classfile went where it belongs. For me the folder structure inside the bundle is `~/.vim/bundle/scvim/sc/SCVim.sc` though.

And may I also know: from which link did you clone scvim (the one you had to enter when you added the plugin to vundle)?

Best
.r.

Re: Problem installing scvim on MacOS Sierra

madamdata
if you install tmux with iterm2 the plugin should automatically detect
it and open the post window in a separate tmux pane.

On Wed, Mar 22, 2017 at 1:06 PM, kflak <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Rainer,
>
> I did, in the end, manage to get it up and running. The problem turned out
> to be that I had written
> Plugin 'scvim'
> in my .vimrc file. When I changed this to
> Plugin 'sbl/scvim'
> and reinstalled the plugins I was good to go. Now I'm trying to figure out
> how to get the terminal window to open in a split pane rather than in a
> separate tab :-) (I use iTerm2) Trying my hands on AppleScript to make it
> happen, but maybe there are better ways?
>
> The SCVim.scd file was something that appeared in the .vim/bundle when I
> installed the plugin the first time, but it didn't reappear after
> reinstalling...
>
> Kenneth
>

> Rainer Schuetz wrote
>>> On 20 Mar 2017, at 10:17, kflak &lt;
>
>> kennethflak@
>
>> &gt; wrote:
>>>
>>> ln -s ~/.vim/bundle/scvim/sc/SCVim.sc ~/Library/Application\
>>> Support/SuperCollider/Extensions/SCVim.sc
>>>
>>> The path ~/.vim/bundle/scvim/sc/SCVim.sc is now
>>> ~/.vim/bundle/scvim/SCVim.scd as far as I can tell, but the main issue
>>> seems
>>> to be the symlink. I had to create the Extensions folder manually, but
>>> this
>>> prevented SCIDE from recompiling library...
>>>
>>> Any thoughts or a detailed, step-by-step instruction on how to set this
>>> up
>>> would be extremely appreciated!
>>
>> Hi Kflak,
>>
>> sorry you got struck by this. The scvim module is currently kind of in a
>> state of being resurrected, and troubles of this sort are likely to occur
>> while people move on to the latest version. Sorry again.
>>
>> The good news is, your problem can be fixed rather easily:
>>
>> SCVim.sc should be copied,  or better symlinked, to a subfolder of the one
>> you already created:
>>
>> ~/Library/Application Support/Extensions/scvim/SCVim.sc
>>
>> And there should be no other copy of SCVim.sc around in places where
>> sclang looks for classfiles.
>>
>> If the classfile is in a subfolder "scvim" you will not get the startup
>> problem in SCIDE, and scvim itself will still see the file.
>>
>> But may I ask: where is the line you are referring to?:
>>
>> `ln -s ~/.vim/bundle/scvim/sc/SCVim.sc ~/Library/Application\
>> Support/SuperCollider/Extensions/SCVim.sc`
>>
>> The line does actually look correct to me, how come you have
>> `~/.vim/bundle/scvim/SCVim.scd`?
>>
>> I also use vundle, but I don't remember how the classfile went where it
>> belongs. For me the folder structure inside the bundle is
>> `~/.vim/bundle/scvim/sc/SCVim.sc` though.
>>
>> And may I also know: from which link did you clone scvim (the one you had
>> to enter when you added the plugin to vundle)?
>>
>> Best
>> .r.

Re: Problem installing scvim on MacOS Sierra

kflak
Sorted!

On 24 Mar 2017, at 01:38, madamdata [via New SuperCollider Mailing Lists Forums (Use These!!!)] <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

>> ~/Library/Application Support/Extensions/scvim/SCVim.sc
>>
>> And there should be no other copy of SCVim.sc around in places where
>> sclang looks for classfiles.
>>
>> If the classfile is in a subfolder "scvim" you will not get the startup
>> problem in SCIDE, and scvim itself will still see the file.
>>
>> But may I ask: where is the line you are referring to?:
>>
>> `ln -s ~/.vim/bundle/scvim/sc/SCVim.sc ~/Library/Application\
>> Support/SuperCollider/Extensions/SCVim.sc`
>>
>> The line does actually look correct to me, how come you have
>> `~/.vim/bundle/scvim/SCVim.scd`?
>>
>> I also use vundle, but I don't remember how the classfile went where it
>> belongs. For me the folder structure inside the bundle is
>> `~/.vim/bundle/scvim/sc/SCVim.sc` though.
>>
>> And may I also know: from which link did you clone scvim (the one you had
>> to enter when you added the plugin to vundle)?

To unsubscribe from Problem installing scvim on MacOS Sierra, click here.
NAML