Server freeze, xruns and dropouts after upgrade to Ubuntu Studio 17.10

Server freeze, xruns and dropouts after upgrade to Ubuntu Studio 17.10

Erik Natanael Gustafsson-2
Hello,

I recently upgraded from Ubuntu Studio 16.04 to 17.10 thinking it would solve a problem of mine. Ever since, and with the same settings as before, I get thousands of xruns (in bursts) and scsynth seems to freeze every few seconds (audio dropout, server status numbers don't update and I sometimes get "command FIFO full" errors).

Any ideas as to what could be the issue or a solution?

Cheers,
Erik

--
Erik Natanael Gustafsson
► Composer, musician ◄
❂ Website: https://eriknatanael.com/
❂ SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/enatanael

Re: Server freeze, xruns and dropouts after upgrade to Ubuntu Studio 17.10

ddw_music
Erik Natanael Gustafsson-2 wrote
> I recently upgraded from Ubuntu Studio 16.04 to 17.10 thinking it would
> solve a problem of mine. Ever since, and with the same settings as before,
> I get thousands of xruns (in bursts) and scsynth seems to freeze every few
> seconds (audio dropout, server status numbers don't update and I sometimes
> get "command FIFO full" errors).

Do you get bursts of xruns with other JACK apps?

I'd guess you probably get them even if only JACK is running, without any
clients.

I'd guess high odds this is not an issue specific to scsynth... if so,
you'll find a larger number of more knowledgeable people at
linux-audio-users (mailing list) or linux-musicians.com (forum).

Though I use Linux myself, my knowledge about system configuration isn't
deep enough to guess what the problem is, based on this info, I'm afraid.

Re: Server freeze, xruns and dropouts after upgrade to Ubuntu Studio 17.10

Erik Natanael Gustafsson-2
Yes, that's right, I'll try posting in those forums. Thanks!

Erik