Sonogram interpretation methods?

dcm

Sonogram interpretation methods?

dcm
Hi list,

I’m looking into interpreting (sonifying?) sonograms in SC. I have seen on
the list some work done with bird calls. My initial thoughts are to set up
multiple SinOsc and and corresponding envelopes. I image this could get
quite unruly. So I’m looking for suggestions on how to approach this task.

Dcm

Re: Sonogram interpretation methods?

shiihs
Assuming you are talking about this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medical_ultrasound

I guess a lot depends on how you want to map the information in the sonogram
to sound, and how important it is to retain all information from the
sonogram, versus selecting some salient details to make audible.

Probably one of the more straightforward ways would be to reinterpret the
sonogram as a spectrogram, and use overlap-add in combination with inverse
fourier transforms on vertical slices of the picture to get an audio
representation (mapping grayvalues in the picture to numbers). But it may
well end up sounding like "a bunch of random noise". Is this what you are
after?

Re: Sonogram interpretation methods?

julian.rohrhuber

> On 29.12.2017, at 00:06, [hidden email] wrote:
>
> Hi list,
>
> I’m looking into interpreting (sonifying?) sonograms in SC. I have seen on
> the list some work done with bird calls. My initial thoughts are to set up
> multiple SinOsc and and corresponding envelopes. I image this could get
> quite unruly. So I’m looking for suggestions on how to approach this task.
>
> Dcm

This might be/point toward the state of the art:
https://vdocuments.site/documents/science-by-ear-diss-decampo.html