SwingOSC installation

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

SwingOSC installation

hellska
Hi list,

I have some problem installing SwingOSC on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS
I've installed SC 3.6.6. using the ppa repository, and it works out of the box.
I downloaded SwingOSC from sourceforge and followed the instructions to install the classes but I still receive this error:

WARNING: GUI.fromID : The GUI scheme 'swing' is not installed
The current scheme is still 'nil'!
ERROR: Class not defined.
  in file 'selected text'
  line 1 char 8:

  SwingOSC.program = "/home/hellska/SwingOSC/SwingOSC.jar"

I tried to install it manually using symbolic link to the classes and it fails.
I tried the install_linux_system script passing the correct SuperCollider install location /usr/share/SuperCollider and I put this line in my startup.scd:

SwingOSC.program = "/home/hellska/SwingOSC/SwingOSC.jar"

I'm using this version of java that should be supported: java version "1.7.0_131"

I'm migrating to Linux because my old MacBook pro died and I need SwingOSC to reuse some of my old code based on cocoa classes...
I'm a bit in a hurry because Friday next week I have a gig and it's the first time I seriously try to use SuperCollider on Linux
I have many thing to test before that date

Any help is appreciated

:Dan

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: SwingOSC installation

alberto.decampo
What version of SC are you using that still has Cocoa classes?
Probably you need an install of that for linux SC.

Which Cocoa classes are you using, and how much code is it?
The Qt classes in 3.8 are quite exact replacements for Cocoa
plus a lot of new extras (and not so much missing from Cocoa),
so it may be worth trying to adapt the GUI code for 3.8
and the drop SwingOSC idea.

2c adc

> On 16/07/2017, at 09:08 , [hidden email] wrote:
>
> Hi list,
>
> I have some problem installing SwingOSC on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS
> I've installed SC 3.6.6. using the ppa repository, and it works out of the
> box.
> I downloaded SwingOSC from sourceforge and followed the instructions to
> install the classes but I still receive this error:
>
> WARNING: GUI.fromID : The GUI scheme 'swing' is not installed
> The current scheme is still 'nil'!
> ERROR: Class not defined.
>  in file 'selected text'
>  line 1 char 8:
>
>  SwingOSC.program = "/home/hellska/SwingOSC/SwingOSC.jar"
>
> I tried to install it manually using symbolic link to the classes and it
> fails.
> I tried the install_linux_system script passing the correct SuperCollider
> install location /usr/share/SuperCollider and I put this line in my
> startup.scd:
>
> SwingOSC.program = "/home/hellska/SwingOSC/SwingOSC.jar"
>
> I'm using this version of java that should be supported: java version
> "1.7.0_131"
>
> I'm migrating to Linux because my old MacBook pro died and I need SwingOSC
> to reuse some of my old code based on cocoa classes...
> I'm a bit in a hurry because Friday next week I have a gig and it's the
> first time I seriously try to use SuperCollider on Linux
> I have many thing to test before that date
>
> Any help is appreciated
>
> :Dan
>
>
>
>
>
> --
> View this message in context: http://new-supercollider-mailing-lists-forums-use-these.2681727.n2.nabble.com/SwingOSC-installation-tp7633522.html
> Sent from the SuperCollider Users New (Use this!!!!) mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
>
> _______________________________________________
> sc-users mailing list
>
> info (subscription, etc.): http://www.birmingham.ac.uk/facilities/ea-studios/research/supercollider/mailinglist.aspx
> archive: http://www.listarc.bham.ac.uk/marchives/sc-users/
> search: http://www.listarc.bham.ac.uk/lists/sc-users/search/


_______________________________________________
sc-users mailing list

info (subscription, etc.): http://www.birmingham.ac.uk/facilities/ea-studios/research/supercollider/mailinglist.aspx
archive: http://www.listarc.bham.ac.uk/marchives/sc-users/
search: http://www.listarc.bham.ac.uk/lists/sc-users/search/
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: SwingOSC installation

alberto.decampo
oh, and maybe borrow a Macbook pro so you can use the running osx version for the show ;-)

> On 16/07/2017, at 09:58 , alberto.decampo <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> What version of SC are you using that still has Cocoa classes?
> Probably you need an install of that for linux SC.
>
> Which Cocoa classes are you using, and how much code is it?
> The Qt classes in 3.8 are quite exact replacements for Cocoa
> plus a lot of new extras (and not so much missing from Cocoa),
> so it may be worth trying to adapt the GUI code for 3.8
> and the drop SwingOSC idea.
>
> 2c adc
>
>> On 16/07/2017, at 09:08 , [hidden email] wrote:
>>
>> Hi list,
>>
>> I have some problem installing SwingOSC on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS
>> I've installed SC 3.6.6. using the ppa repository, and it works out of the
>> box.
>> I downloaded SwingOSC from sourceforge and followed the instructions to
>> install the classes but I still receive this error:
>>
>> WARNING: GUI.fromID : The GUI scheme 'swing' is not installed
>> The current scheme is still 'nil'!
>> ERROR: Class not defined.
>> in file 'selected text'
>> line 1 char 8:
>>
>> SwingOSC.program = "/home/hellska/SwingOSC/SwingOSC.jar"
>>
>> I tried to install it manually using symbolic link to the classes and it
>> fails.
>> I tried the install_linux_system script passing the correct SuperCollider
>> install location /usr/share/SuperCollider and I put this line in my
>> startup.scd:
>>
>> SwingOSC.program = "/home/hellska/SwingOSC/SwingOSC.jar"
>>
>> I'm using this version of java that should be supported: java version
>> "1.7.0_131"
>>
>> I'm migrating to Linux because my old MacBook pro died and I need SwingOSC
>> to reuse some of my old code based on cocoa classes...
>> I'm a bit in a hurry because Friday next week I have a gig and it's the
>> first time I seriously try to use SuperCollider on Linux
>> I have many thing to test before that date
>>
>> Any help is appreciated
>>
>> :Dan
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> --
>> View this message in context: http://new-supercollider-mailing-lists-forums-use-these.2681727.n2.nabble.com/SwingOSC-installation-tp7633522.html
>> Sent from the SuperCollider Users New (Use this!!!!) mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> sc-users mailing list
>>
>> info (subscription, etc.): http://www.birmingham.ac.uk/facilities/ea-studios/research/supercollider/mailinglist.aspx
>> archive: http://www.listarc.bham.ac.uk/marchives/sc-users/
>> search: http://www.listarc.bham.ac.uk/lists/sc-users/search/
>


_______________________________________________
sc-users mailing list

info (subscription, etc.): http://www.birmingham.ac.uk/facilities/ea-studios/research/supercollider/mailinglist.aspx
archive: http://www.listarc.bham.ac.uk/marchives/sc-users/
search: http://www.listarc.bham.ac.uk/lists/sc-users/search/
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: SwingOSC installation

hellska
In reply to this post by alberto.decampo
Thanx Alberto,

maybe I'm mixing different problems.

Borrowing a MacBookPro is a good idea, but now I have this bad reputation 'the guy that broke a macBookPro with that weir software named Supercollider" so every people I asked told me that they can't borrow their mac because it's too important for their daily life jajaja
At this stage I'm planning to use my old iMac (horrific presence on stage), but I'm resolute to migrate permanently on Linux, and I'm sure this is the place to get some help.

I was using SC 3.6.6 on Mac Os X, and the code works with that version. So I installed 3.6.6 which is the current stable version in the ppa repos and I just want to use the same version in order not to face more issues than the ones I already have.

When I startup scide on linux I receive this messages:

init_OSC
empty
compiling class library...
    NumPrimitives = 577
    compiling dir: '/usr/local/share/SuperCollider/SCClassLibrary'
    compiling dir: '/usr/local/share/SuperCollider/Extensions'
    pass 1 done
    numentries = 734520 / 8870796 = 0.083
    4323 method selectors, 2052 classes
    method table size 10297536 bytes, big table size 70966368
    Number of Symbols 10475
    Byte Code Size 336150
    compiled 286 files in 0.19 seconds
compile done
Couldn't set realtime scheduling priority 1: Operation not permitted
Help tree read from cache in 0.0026719570159912 seconds
LID: event loop started
Class tree inited in 0.02 seconds
WARNING: GUI.fromID : The GUI scheme 'swing' is not installed
The current scheme is still 'nil'!
ERROR: Class not defined.
  in file 'selected text'
  line 1 char 8:

  SwingOSC.program = "/home/hellska/SwingOSC/SwingOSC.jar"
         
  
-----------------------------------
ERROR: A primitive was not bound. 0 576
Instance of Method {    (0x2844d00, gc=01, fmt=00, flg=11, set=04)
  instance variables [15]
    raw1 : Float 0.000000   00000000 0060000C
    raw2 : Float 0.000000   00000100 01000001
    code : instance of Int8Array (0x2844e80, size=1, set=2)
    selectors : nil
    constants : nil
    prototypeFrame : instance of Array (0x1a1c280, size=1, set=2)
    context : nil
    argNames : instance of SymbolArray (0x1a1c340, size=1, set=2)
    varNames : nil
    sourceCode : nil
    ownerClass : class Meta_ScIDE (0x2841040)
    name : Symbol 'connected'
    primitiveName : Symbol '_ScIDE_Connected'
    filenameSymbol : Symbol '/usr/local/share/SuperCollider/SCClassLibrary/scide_scqt/ScIDE.sc'
    charPos : Integer 1192
}
ERROR: Non Boolean in test.
RECEIVER:
   nil
CALL STACK:
    MethodError:reportError   0x2c8a068
        arg this = <instance of MustBeBooleanError>
    Nil:handleError   0x2c8a118
        arg this = nil
        arg error = <instance of MustBeBooleanError>
    Thread:handleError   0x2c8a1c8
        arg this = <instance of Thread>
        arg error = <instance of MustBeBooleanError>
    Object:throw   0x2c8a278
        arg this = <instance of MustBeBooleanError>
    Object:mustBeBoolean   0x2c8a538
        arg this = nil
    < FunctionDef in Method Meta_ScIDE:initClass >  (no arguments or variables)
    Function:doOnStartUp   0x2c8a7f8
        arg this = <instance of Function>
    ArrayedCollection:do   0x2c8a8a8
        arg this = [*8]
        arg function = <instance of Function>
        var i = 0
    List:do   0x2c8a958
        arg this = <instance of List>
        arg function = <instance of Function>
    Meta_StartUp:run   0x2c8ad78
        arg this = <instance of Meta_StartUp>
    Main:startup   0x1c81308
        arg this = <instance of Main>
        var didWarnOverwrite = false
^^ The preceding error dump is for ERROR: Non Boolean in test.
RECEIVER: nil
Couldn't set realtime scheduling priority 1: Operation not permitted
ERROR: A primitive was not bound. 0 576
Instance of Method {    (0x2851400, gc=01, fmt=00, flg=11, set=04)
  instance variables [15]
    raw1 : Float 0.000000   00000000 0070000C
    raw2 : Float 0.000000   00000200 02010002
    code : instance of Int8Array (0x2851700, size=4, set=2)
    selectors : nil
    constants : nil
    prototypeFrame : instance of Array (0x2851640, size=2, set=2)
    context : nil
    argNames : instance of SymbolArray (0x2851580, size=2, set=2)
    varNames : nil
    sourceCode : nil
    ownerClass : class Meta_ScIDE (0x2841040)
    name : Symbol 'prConnect'
    primitiveName : Symbol '_ScIDE_Connect'
    filenameSymbol : Symbol '/usr/local/share/SuperCollider/SCClassLibrary/scide_scqt/ScIDE.sc'
    charPos : Integer 6755
}
ERROR: Primitive 'none' failed.
Failed.
RECEIVER:
   nil
CALL STACK:
    MethodError:reportError   0x2c88f38
        arg this = <instance of PrimitiveFailedError>
    Nil:handleError   0x2c88fe8
        arg this = nil
        arg error = <instance of PrimitiveFailedError>
    Thread:handleError   0x2c89098
        arg this = <instance of Thread>
        arg error = <instance of PrimitiveFailedError>
    Object:throw   0x2c89148
        arg this = <instance of PrimitiveFailedError>
    Object:primitiveFailed   0x2c89568
        arg this = nil
    Meta_ScIDE:prConnect   0x2c89618
        arg this = nil
        arg ideName = nil
    Meta_ScIDE:connect   0x2c89778
        arg this = <instance of Meta_ScIDE>
        arg ideName = "SCIde_17000"
    Process:interpretCmdLine   0x2c898d8
        arg this = <instance of Main>
^^ The preceding error dump is for ERROR: Primitive 'none' failed.
Failed.
RECEIVER: nil
SCDoc: Indexing help-files...
SCDoc: Indexing old helpfiles...
Help files scanned in 0.044875144958496 seconds
SCDoc: Indexed 1250 documents in 0.77 seconds
ERROR: A primitive was not bound. 0 576
Instance of Method {    (0x2851040, gc=01, fmt=00, flg=11, set=04)
  instance variables [15]
    raw1 : Float 0.000000   00000000 0080000C
    raw2 : Float 0.000000   00000300 03020003
    code : instance of Int8Array (0x2851340, size=4, set=2)
    selectors : nil
    constants : nil
    prototypeFrame : instance of Array (0x2851280, size=3, set=2)
    context : nil
    argNames : instance of SymbolArray (0x28511c0, size=3, set=2)
    varNames : nil
    sourceCode : nil
    ownerClass : class Meta_ScIDE (0x2841040)
    name : Symbol 'prSend'
    primitiveName : Symbol '_ScIDE_Send'
    filenameSymbol : Symbol '/usr/local/share/SuperCollider/SCClassLibrary/scide_scqt/ScIDE.sc'
    charPos : Integer 6693
}
ERROR: Primitive 'none' failed.
Failed.
RECEIVER:
   nil

PROTECTED CALL STACK:
    Meta_MethodError:new    0x2af8e00
        arg this = PrimitiveFailedError
        arg what = Failed.
        arg receiver = nil
    Meta_PrimitiveFailedError:new    0x2afd900
        arg this = PrimitiveFailedError
        arg receiver = nil
    Object:primitiveFailed    0x1b38e00
        arg this = nil
    Meta_ScIDE:prSend    0x2851040
        arg this = nil
        arg id = nil
        arg data = nil
    Function:prTry    0x23d2d40
        arg this = a Function
        var result = nil
        var thread = a Routine
        var next = nil
        var wasInProtectedFunc = true
   
CALL STACK:
    MethodError:reportError   0x31dae38
        arg this = <instance of PrimitiveFailedError>
    < closed FunctionDef >   0x31d6e78
        arg error = <instance of PrimitiveFailedError>
    Integer:forBy   0x3b63038
        arg this = 0
        arg endval = 0
        arg stepval = 2
        arg function = <instance of Function>
        var i = 0
        var j = 0
    SequenceableCollection:pairsDo   0x31d9978
        arg this = [*2]
        arg function = <instance of Function>
    Scheduler:seconds_   0x31d89f8
        arg this = <instance of Scheduler>
        arg newSeconds = 1500197564.9765
    Meta_AppClock:tick   0x31db738
        arg this = <instance of Meta_AppClock>
        var saveClock = <instance of Meta_SystemClock>
    Process:tick   0x31d9c68
        arg this = <instance of Main>
^^ The preceding error dump is for ERROR: Primitive 'none' failed.
Failed.
RECEIVER: nil

I thought that installing SwingOSC would solve part of those errors, that's why I chose this way :P
I thought also that the scide does not works properly on Linux because of SwingOSC. If I use the ctrl+B shortcut to startup the server I receive this error:

ERROR: Message 'boot' not understood.
RECEIVER:
   nil
ARGS:
CALL STACK:
    DoesNotUnderstandError:reportError   0x3c0afa8
        arg this = <instance of DoesNotUnderstandError>
    Nil:handleError   0x3c0ace8
        arg this = nil
        arg error = <instance of DoesNotUnderstandError>
    Thread:handleError   0x3c0b1b8
        arg this = <instance of Thread>
        arg error = <instance of DoesNotUnderstandError>
    Object:throw   0x3c0b108
        arg this = <instance of DoesNotUnderstandError>
    Object:doesNotUnderstand   0x3c0b268
        arg this = nil
        arg selector = 'boot'
        arg args = [*0]
    Process:interpretCmdLine   0x3257a68
        arg this = <instance of Main>
^^ The preceding error dump is for ERROR: Message 'boot' not understood.
RECEIVER: nil

​Is this also due to the absence of SwingOSC or it's a different problem?

Thanx :)
:Dan​


On 16 July 2017 at 09:59, alberto.decampo [via New SuperCollider Mailing Lists Forums (Use These!!!)] <[hidden email]> wrote:
What version of SC are you using that still has Cocoa classes?
Probably you need an install of that for linux SC.

Which Cocoa classes are you using, and how much code is it?
The Qt classes in 3.8 are quite exact replacements for Cocoa
plus a lot of new extras (and not so much missing from Cocoa),
so it may be worth trying to adapt the GUI code for 3.8
and the drop SwingOSC idea.

2c adc

> On 16/07/2017, at 09:08 , [hidden email] wrote:
>
> Hi list,
>
> I have some problem installing SwingOSC on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS
> I've installed SC 3.6.6. using the ppa repository, and it works out of the
> box.
> I downloaded SwingOSC from sourceforge and followed the instructions to
> install the classes but I still receive this error:
>
> WARNING: GUI.fromID : The GUI scheme 'swing' is not installed
> The current scheme is still 'nil'!
> ERROR: Class not defined.
>  in file 'selected text'
>  line 1 char 8:
>
>  SwingOSC.program = "/home/hellska/SwingOSC/SwingOSC.jar"
>
> I tried to install it manually using symbolic link to the classes and it
> fails.
> I tried the install_linux_system script passing the correct SuperCollider
> install location /usr/share/SuperCollider and I put this line in my
> startup.scd:
>
> SwingOSC.program = "/home/hellska/SwingOSC/SwingOSC.jar"
>
> I'm using this version of java that should be supported: java version
> "1.7.0_131"
>
> I'm migrating to Linux because my old MacBook pro died and I need SwingOSC
> to reuse some of my old code based on cocoa classes...
> I'm a bit in a hurry because Friday next week I have a gig and it's the
> first time I seriously try to use SuperCollider on Linux
> I have many thing to test before that date
>
> Any help is appreciated
>
> :Dan
>
>
>
>
>
> --
> View this message in context: http://new-supercollider-mailing-lists-forums-use-these.2681727.n2.nabble.com/SwingOSC-installation-tp7633522.html
> Sent from the SuperCollider Users New (Use this!!!!) mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
>
> _______________________________________________
> sc-users mailing list
>
> info (subscription, etc.): http://www.birmingham.ac.uk/facilities/ea-studios/research/supercollider/mailinglist.aspx
> archive: http://www.listarc.bham.ac.uk/marchives/sc-users/
> search: http://www.listarc.bham.ac.uk/lists/sc-users/search/

_______________________________________________
sc-users mailing list

info (subscription, etc.): http://www.birmingham.ac.uk/facilities/ea-studios/research/supercollider/mailinglist.aspx
archive: http://www.listarc.bham.ac.uk/marchives/sc-users/
search: http://www.listarc.bham.ac.uk/lists/sc-users/search/



If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://new-supercollider-mailing-lists-forums-use-these.2681727.n2.nabble.com/SwingOSC-installation-tp7633522p7633525.html
To unsubscribe from SwingOSC installation, click here.
NAML

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: SwingOSC installation

ddw_music
hellska wrote
I was using SC 3.6.6 on Mac Os X, and the code works with that version. So
I installed 3.6.6 which is the current stable version in the ppa repos and
I just want to use the same version in order not to face more issues than
the ones I already have.
In older, older versions, SwingOSC is the way to have a GUI in Linux.

That is no longer true.

You do not need SwingOSC.

Just use the Qt GUI objects in SC 3.6.x.

hjh
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: SwingOSC installation

hellska
Yeah!

Thanx for pointing me in the right direction!
I did a fresh installation of Ubuntu and installed SC 3.6.6 from ppa repos ... and part of the gui is working!
The errors disappered!
Except this warning:

    Couldn't set realtime scheduling priority 1: Operation not permitted

Even if I selected to configure jackd for realtime scheduling during the installation ... hummmm
Is it striclty necessary to enable realtime scheduling?

:Dan
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: SwingOSC installation

ddw_music
hellska wrote
Except this warning:

    Couldn't set realtime scheduling priority 1: Operation not permitted

Even if I selected to configure jackd for realtime scheduling during the installation ... hummmm
Is it striclty necessary to enable realtime scheduling?
That is not specific to SuperCollider. The JACK website should have details on system configuration.

RT, scheduling is important. If the JACK audio thread(s) don't have high enough priority, they will be interrupted more frequently and that means more dropouts.

The user running JACK needs to have the system privilege to create RT-priority threads. You have to grant that privilege manually -- SC can't do it for you.

http://jackaudio.org/faq/linux_rt_config.html

hjh
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: SwingOSC installation

ddw_music
ddw_music wrote
The user running JACK needs to have the system privilege to create RT-priority threads. You have to grant that privilege manually -- SC can't do it for you.
Or, start over with Ubuntu Studio (which preconfigures users with the required privileges).

hjh
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: SwingOSC installation

hellska
Thanx.

Solved!

I just needed to add the user that executes SuperCollider to the audio group! So simple :)
So on Ubuntu 114.04 LTS I launched this command:

sudo usermod -a -G audio username

Jack configures everything during the installation.

​I reviewed all​ the code and the performance patch is almost ready, I will have rehearsal tonight to test everything!
​Thanx everyone for the help

:Dan​

On 17 July 2017 at 13:30, ddw_music [via New SuperCollider Mailing Lists Forums (Use These!!!)] <[hidden email]> wrote:
ddw_music wrote
The user running JACK needs to have the system privilege to create RT-priority threads. You have to grant that privilege manually -- SC can't do it for you.
Or, start over with Ubuntu Studio (which preconfigures users with the required privileges).

hjh


If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://new-supercollider-mailing-lists-forums-use-these.2681727.n2.nabble.com/SwingOSC-installation-tp7633522p7633545.html
To unsubscribe from SwingOSC installation, click here.
NAML

Loading...