Ubuntu Building from source

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
11 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Ubuntu Building from source

George Edward Thomas
Hello!

I built SC 3.9 dev from source around 6 months ago, I am wondering what is
the best way to update, do I have to uninstall and do the whole build
process again?

Many thanks in advance!



--
Sent from: http://new-supercollider-mailing-lists-forums-use-these.2681727.n2.nabble.com/SuperCollider-Users-New-Use-this-f2676391.html

_______________________________________________
sc-users mailing list

info (subscription, etc.): http://www.birmingham.ac.uk/facilities/ea-studios/research/supercollider/mailinglist.aspx
archive: http://www.listarc.bham.ac.uk/marchives/sc-users/
search: http://www.listarc.bham.ac.uk/lists/sc-users/search/
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Ubuntu Building from source

5tefan


Am 2018-01-11 um 14:13 schrieb [hidden email]:
> Hello!
>
> I built SC 3.9 dev from source around 6 months ago, I am wondering what is
> the best way to update, do I have to uninstall and do the whole build
> process again?

Did you clone the repo or did you download it (as .zip file)? If you
cloned the repo the first step would be to update the source (given the
source still exists on your computer):

$ git pull origin develop && git submodule init && git submodule sync &&
$ git submodule update

You may also switch to the 3.9 branch (containing the source for the
current release candidate)

$ git checkout 3.9

then

$ git pull &&  git submodule init && git submodule sync && git submodule
update

... initing and syncing the submodules should get you the latest version
of the submodules as well.

then cd into the build directory and invoke compilation

$ cmake .. && make

or maybe better

$ cmake .. && make clean && make

... if you have already set the parameters for your compilation they
should be considered automatically. Otherwise you'll have to set them again:

$ cmake -DWHATEVER=value ... && make

If all went well you can (uninstall and) install SC:

# make uninstall && make install

(the $ denotes commands that can be executed as normal user, commands
prefixed with # have to be executed as root. $, # are not part of the
sequence - they'll appear automatically in from of the current line in
the terminal).

If you haven't cloned the repo you probably can only replace the old
source with the current one (if the old on's still around). You'll
probably have to set the cmake sequence again, reflecting the desired
build configuration:

$ cmake -DWHATEVER1=value1 -DWHATEVER2=value2 .. && make

Anyway, I'd recommend installing git and updating the source with 'git
pull' whenever needed.

hth, Stefan

_______________________________________________
sc-users mailing list

info (subscription, etc.): http://www.birmingham.ac.uk/facilities/ea-studios/research/supercollider/mailinglist.aspx
archive: http://www.listarc.bham.ac.uk/marchives/sc-users/
search: http://www.listarc.bham.ac.uk/lists/sc-users/search/
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Ubuntu Building from source

George Edward Thomas
Hi Stefan!

Thank you very much for the detailed reply,
it worked great!

best wishes!

Jorge.



--
Sent from: http://new-supercollider-mailing-lists-forums-use-these.2681727.n2.nabble.com/SuperCollider-Users-New-Use-this-f2676391.html

_______________________________________________
sc-users mailing list

info (subscription, etc.): http://www.birmingham.ac.uk/facilities/ea-studios/research/supercollider/mailinglist.aspx
archive: http://www.listarc.bham.ac.uk/marchives/sc-users/
search: http://www.listarc.bham.ac.uk/lists/sc-users/search/
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Ubuntu Building from source

5tefan


Am 2018-01-11 um 15:44 schrieb [hidden email]:
> Hi Stefan!
>
> Thank you very much for the detailed reply,
> it worked great!

Good to hear ;)

Thanks, Stefan

_______________________________________________
sc-users mailing list

info (subscription, etc.): http://www.birmingham.ac.uk/facilities/ea-studios/research/supercollider/mailinglist.aspx
archive: http://www.listarc.bham.ac.uk/marchives/sc-users/
search: http://www.listarc.bham.ac.uk/lists/sc-users/search/
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Ubuntu Building from source

George Edward Thomas
I've installed the sc3-plugins in the same way, and had no problem with the
installation,
the only thing is that the Atk ambisonics toolkit is missing, and is not
listed in the Quarks either, do you know how I might be able to install it?
again thank you very much!
Jorge.



--
Sent from: http://new-supercollider-mailing-lists-forums-use-these.2681727.n2.nabble.com/SuperCollider-Users-New-Use-this-f2676391.html

_______________________________________________
sc-users mailing list

info (subscription, etc.): http://www.birmingham.ac.uk/facilities/ea-studios/research/supercollider/mailinglist.aspx
archive: http://www.listarc.bham.ac.uk/marchives/sc-users/
search: http://www.listarc.bham.ac.uk/lists/sc-users/search/
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Ubuntu Building from source

George Edward Thomas
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Ubuntu Building from source

Joseph Anderson-4
Hello Jorge,

We're in an interim state at the moment with the ATK. As soon as 3.9 becomes the Current Version found on the download page we'll update the installation instructions and add the ATK to the published Quark directory.


Hope that helps!


My best,


Dr Joseph Anderson | Research Scientist

DXARTS, Box 353414

University of Washington

Seattle, WA 98195-3680

 

http://www.dxarts.washington.edu


Subscribe to our events list to receive email updates about lectures, performances, exhibitions and more.




Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Ubuntu Building from source

George Edward Thomas
Hello Joseph,

That's great news! Thank you very much for the update,

all the best!

Jorge.



--
Sent from: http://new-supercollider-mailing-lists-forums-use-these.2681727.n2.nabble.com/SuperCollider-Users-New-Use-this-f2676391.html

_______________________________________________
sc-users mailing list

info (subscription, etc.): http://www.birmingham.ac.uk/facilities/ea-studios/research/supercollider/mailinglist.aspx
archive: http://www.listarc.bham.ac.uk/marchives/sc-users/
search: http://www.listarc.bham.ac.uk/lists/sc-users/search/
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Ubuntu Building from source

Henricus J. Holtman
In reply to this post by 5tefan
I tried this recipe, but mine errors out as below:

...
[ 97%] Built target callback_interpreter_system
[ 97%] Built target sndfile_backend_test
[ 97%] Built target server_node_graph_test
[ 97%] Built target simple_pool_test
[ 98%] Built target server_dsp_thread_test
[ 99%] Built target server_synth_factory_test
[100%] Built target sized_array_test
[100%] Built target timetag_test
Install the project...
-- Install configuration: "RelWithDebInfo"
-- Up-to-date: /usr/local/include/SuperCollider/common
CMake Error at cmake_install.cmake:44 (file):
   file INSTALL cannot set permissions on
   "/usr/local/include/SuperCollider/common"


Makefile:93: recipe for target 'install' failed
make: *** [install] Error 1

What's the hang?

             Thank You for Your Attention

On 01/11/2018 06:53 AM, [hidden email] wrote:

>
> Am 2018-01-11 um 15:44 schrieb [hidden email]:
>> Hi Stefan!
>>
>> Thank you very much for the detailed reply,
>> it worked great!
> Good to hear ;)
>
> Thanks, Stefan
>
> _______________________________________________
> sc-users mailing list
>
> info (subscription, etc.): http://www.birmingham.ac.uk/facilities/ea-studios/research/supercollider/mailinglist.aspx
> archive: http://www.listarc.bham.ac.uk/marchives/sc-users/
> search: http://www.listarc.bham.ac.uk/lists/sc-users/search/
>

--
Time is an imaginary number. Entropy always wins.


_______________________________________________
sc-users mailing list

info (subscription, etc.): http://www.birmingham.ac.uk/facilities/ea-studios/research/supercollider/mailinglist.aspx
archive: http://www.listarc.bham.ac.uk/marchives/sc-users/
search: http://www.listarc.bham.ac.uk/lists/sc-users/search/
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Ubuntu Building from source

Henricus J. Holtman
Oops:

sudo make uninstall && make install, seems to have been in error
it should be:

sudo make uninstall && sudo make install



On 01/12/2018 01:23 AM, [hidden email] wrote:

> I tried this recipe, but mine errors out as below:
>
> ...
> [ 97%] Built target callback_interpreter_system
> [ 97%] Built target sndfile_backend_test
> [ 97%] Built target server_node_graph_test
> [ 97%] Built target simple_pool_test
> [ 98%] Built target server_dsp_thread_test
> [ 99%] Built target server_synth_factory_test
> [100%] Built target sized_array_test
> [100%] Built target timetag_test
> Install the project...
> -- Install configuration: "RelWithDebInfo"
> -- Up-to-date: /usr/local/include/SuperCollider/common
> CMake Error at cmake_install.cmake:44 (file):
>   file INSTALL cannot set permissions on
>   "/usr/local/include/SuperCollider/common"
>
>
> Makefile:93: recipe for target 'install' failed
> make: *** [install] Error 1
>
> What's the hang?
>
>             Thank You for Your Attention
>
> On 01/11/2018 06:53 AM, [hidden email] wrote:
>>
>> Am 2018-01-11 um 15:44 schrieb [hidden email]:
>>> Hi Stefan!
>>>
>>> Thank you very much for the detailed reply,
>>> it worked great!
>> Good to hear ;)
>>
>> Thanks, Stefan
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> sc-users mailing list
>>
>> info (subscription, etc.):
>> http://www.birmingham.ac.uk/facilities/ea-studios/research/supercollider/mailinglist.aspx
>> archive: http://www.listarc.bham.ac.uk/marchives/sc-users/
>> search: http://www.listarc.bham.ac.uk/lists/sc-users/search/
>>
>

--
Time is an imaginary number. Entropy always wins.


_______________________________________________
sc-users mailing list

info (subscription, etc.): http://www.birmingham.ac.uk/facilities/ea-studios/research/supercollider/mailinglist.aspx
archive: http://www.listarc.bham.ac.uk/marchives/sc-users/
search: http://www.listarc.bham.ac.uk/lists/sc-users/search/
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Ubuntu Building from source

George Edward Thomas
In reply to this post by Henricus J. Holtman
Hi Henricus!

did you run

make uninstall && make install

as root?

all the best!

Jorge.



--
Sent from: http://new-supercollider-mailing-lists-forums-use-these.2681727.n2.nabble.com/SuperCollider-Users-New-Use-this-f2676391.html

_______________________________________________
sc-users mailing list

info (subscription, etc.): http://www.birmingham.ac.uk/facilities/ea-studios/research/supercollider/mailinglist.aspx
archive: http://www.listarc.bham.ac.uk/marchives/sc-users/
search: http://www.listarc.bham.ac.uk/lists/sc-users/search/