Undocumented Classes

Andrew Blandrew
Hey all,

My help file is showing quite a few undocumented classes.  A lot of them are probably from Quarks but I see in the online file there are still 435 undocumented classes.  Is this just the way things are or is there some secret update hiding out there?  I'm running 3.7 from ccrma's repo; not sure if that would have anything to do with it...

Re: Undocumented Classes

julian.rohrhuber
Hi Andrew, that’s normal. It comes from a mix of experimental attitude, some laziness, and in general a strong reliance on code as self-documenting. Traditionally, a lot of things were shown by example, and I think that is a good practice if the examples are good. So don’t worry, it’s ok :) We always need help to improve this situation.

> On 17.03.2017, at 08:35, Andrew Blandrew <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hey all,
>
> My help file is showing quite a few undocumented classes.  A lot of them are probably from Quarks but I see in the online file there are still 435 undocumented classes.  Is this just the way things are or is there some secret update hiding out there?  I'm running 3.7 from ccrma's repo; not sure if that would have anything to do with it...

Re: Undocumented Classes

brian heim
If anyone wants to help document these classes, you're more than welcome to, and your work would be greatly appreciated, both by the devs and by current and future users of SC! You'll need a GitHub account (and probably know how to use git if you want to do a lot of this (; ). You'll want to:

- fork your own copy of the main SuperCollider repository
- create a local clone using git (optional)
- edit the help file (or add a new one) either on your machine or in your GitHub fork (There's a very good plugin for the Atom text editor that will correctly highlight .schelp files)
- submit a pull request detailing the work you've done

An introduction to writing help files is here: http://doc.sccode.org/Guides/WritingHelp.html

(Sorry if that list is scarring.)

-Brian

Re: Undocumented Classes

On 2017-03-17 00:35, Andrew Blandrew wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> My help file is showing quite a few undocumented classes.  A lot of
> them are probably from Quarks but I see in the online file there are
> still 435 undocumented classes.  Is this just the way things are or is
> there some secret update hiding out there?  I'm running 3.7 from
> ccrma's repo; not sure if that would have anything to do with it...

hi andrew,

to add to julian and brian, note that doc.sccode.org also includes
sc3-plugins, which can be a bit of a junkyard. some are stuck in the old
help system and haven't been migrated over yet, and others were never
documented at all. the core repository definitely has its share of
undocumented functionality as well.

we'd very much appreciate help with this!

Nathan

Re: Undocumented Classes

Andrew Blandrew
Thanks for the info!  I'd rate myself as beginner-intermediate with SC right now but rooting around in this stuff can only benefit my education.  If I find a way to contribute anything I will.

Nathan

Re: Undocumented Classes

Bad Numbers
I keep hearing about this 'old help system'. Is it straightforward to migrate something over from the old to the new? Where do I find the old help files?

Re: Undocumented Classes

Nathan Ho
Bad Numbers wrote
I keep hearing about this 'old help system'. Is it straightforward to migrate something over from the old to the new? Where do I find the old help files?
the old help system was, as far as i know, plain html files hanging out in the class library directories. you can find them in old quarks and sc3-plugins. example: https://github.com/supercollider/sc3-plugins/blob/master/source/DistortionUGens/sc/DistortionUGens.html

scdoc used to allow you to view the old help system (there's an "old help wrapper" that uses an <iframe>) but for historical reasons unclear to me, that support seems to have disappeared.

migration is straightforward, but due to the unstandardized nature of the old help system, we have to do it manually.

Nathan

Re: Undocumented Classes

crucialfelix

3.8 added a lot of help files. It's a better release and worth upgrading to.

Bad Numbers wrote