Quantcast

evaluating code in the help window in the ide

evaluating code in the help window in the ide

Oliver Larkin
hello,

it seems to me that unless I have no documents open in sc ide I cannot evaluate examples in the help window. the open document has the focus. is there a way around this?

many thanks,

oli

Re: evaluating code in the help window in the ide

ddw_music
Oliver Larkin wrote
it seems to me that unless I have no documents open in sc ide I cannot evaluate examples in the help window. the open document has the focus. is there a way around this?
I'm pretty sure this is not a universal problem - it probably depends on your SC version, OS version, and maybe locale. Can you provide those details?

Also, what are the exact steps to reproduce? Are you selecting a code snippet in the help browser, or putting the cursor in the middle of a line? Which keystroke are you using to run the code?

Re: evaluating code in the help window in the ide

Oliver Larkin
it's super collider 3.8.0, 10.11, UK English

here's a video: you can hear me trying to press cmd + enter after i've opened a new file window

On 12 Feb 2017, at 11:53, ddw_music <[hidden email]> wrote:

Oliver Larkin wrote
it seems to me that unless I have no documents open in sc ide I cannot
evaluate examples in the help window. the open document has the focus. is
there a way around this?

I'm pretty sure this is not a universal problem - it probably depends on
your SC version, OS version, and maybe locale. Can you provide those
details?

Also, what are the exact steps to reproduce? Are you selecting a code
snippet in the help browser, or putting the cursor in the middle of a line?
Which keystroke are you using to run the code?

Re: evaluating code in the help window in the ide

Kuivila, Ronald
Hi Sam,

 Yup, but it is a great insight that it is the document window holding on to the focus.
Seems like that might lead to a solution.
Anyone?

RJK

On Feb 12, 2017, at 10:44 AM, Sam Pluta <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

5tefan

Am 2017-02-12 um 16:21 schrieb Oliver Larkin:
> it's super collider 3.8.0, 10.11, UK English
>
> here's a video: you can hear me trying to press cmd + enter after i've opened a new file window

Have you tried shift + enter too? Cmd + enter has never worked I think
(at least for me it never did), neither under OSX nor Linux. Of course,
if you couldn't focus the help browser window, that what be really bad.
But you can copy from there, can't you?

Stefan

Re: evaluating code in the help window in the ide

Sam Pluta
Wow. Shift-enter works. 5 years of annoyance for nothing…

Sam

On February 12, 2017 at 12:21:04 PM, Stefan Nussbaumer ([hidden email]) wrote:

Am 2017-02-12 um 16:21 schrieb Oliver Larkin:
> it's super collider 3.8.0, 10.11, UK English
>
> here's a video: you can hear me trying to press cmd + enter after i've opened a new file window

Have you tried shift + enter too? Cmd + enter has never worked I think
(at least for me it never did), neither under OSX nor Linux. Of course,
if you couldn't focus the help browser window, that what be really bad.
But you can copy from there, can't you?

Stefan

Re: evaluating code in the help window in the ide

Oliver Larkin
thanks, shift works

On 12 Feb 2017, at 18:38, Sam Pluta <[hidden email]> wrote:

Wow. Shift-enter works. 5 years of annoyance for nothing…

Sam

On February 12, 2017 at 12:21:04 PM, Stefan Nussbaumer ([hidden email]) wrote:

Am 2017-02-12 um 16:21 schrieb Oliver Larkin:
> it's super collider 3.8.0, 10.11, UK English
>
> here's a video: you can hear me trying to press cmd + enter after i've opened a new file window

Have you tried shift + enter too? Cmd + enter has never worked I think
(at least for me it never did), neither under OSX nor Linux. Of course,
if you couldn't focus the help browser window, that what be really bad.
But you can copy from there, can't you?

Stefan

Re: evaluating code in the help window in the ide

Kuivila, Ronald
Hi all,

Where can we put that in the documentation?

RJK

On Feb 12, 2017, at 2:11 PM, Oliver Larkin <[hidden email]> wrote:

thanks, shift works

On 12 Feb 2017, at 18:38, Sam Pluta <[hidden email]> wrote:

Wow. Shift-enter works. 5 years of annoyance for nothing…

Sam

On February 12, 2017 at 12:21:04 PM, Stefan Nussbaumer ([hidden email]) wrote:

Am 2017-02-12 um 16:21 schrieb Oliver Larkin:
> it's super collider 3.8.0, 10.11, UK English
>
> here's a video: you can hear me trying to press cmd + enter after i've opened a new file window

Have you tried shift + enter too? Cmd + enter has never worked I think
(at least for me it never did), neither under OSX nor Linux. Of course,
if you couldn't focus the help browser window, that what be really bad.
But you can copy from there, can't you?

Stefan

Re: evaluating code in the help window in the ide

Kuivila, Ronald
BTW: On my laptop, enter (i.e., fn-return) works but shift enter or shift return does not.

RJK
On Feb 12, 2017, at 3:11 PM, Kuivila, Ronald <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi all,

Where can we put that in the documentation?

RJK

On Feb 12, 2017, at 2:11 PM, Oliver Larkin <[hidden email]> wrote:

thanks, shift works

On 12 Feb 2017, at 18:38, Sam Pluta <[hidden email]> wrote:

Wow. Shift-enter works. 5 years of annoyance for nothing…

Sam

On February 12, 2017 at 12:21:04 PM, Stefan Nussbaumer ([hidden email]) wrote:

Am 2017-02-12 um 16:21 schrieb Oliver Larkin:
> it's super collider 3.8.0, 10.11, UK English
>
> here's a video: you can hear me trying to press cmd + enter after i've opened a new file window

Have you tried shift + enter too? Cmd + enter has never worked I think
(at least for me it never did), neither under OSX nor Linux. Of course,
if you couldn't focus the help browser window, that what be really bad.
But you can copy from there, can't you?

Stefan

Re: evaluating code in the help window in the ide

alberto.decampo
The Language menu in 3.9 dev has shift-enter for Evaluate selection or line;
when using the Language Menu to do  Evaluate selection or line, this
evaluates the current document’s selected line, even when the help page has the focus.

> On 12/02/2017, at 21:15 , Kuivila, Ronald <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> BTW: On my laptop, enter (i.e., fn-return) works but shift enter or shift return does not.
>
> RJK
>> On Feb 12, 2017, at 3:11 PM, Kuivila, Ronald <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Where can we put that in the documentation?

Should go into Reference/KeyboardShortcuts,
and all intros / tutorials should best point to that?

best adc