Quantcast

patterns on remote server

Shivers Null
Hello Everyone,

i'm on arch linux using SuperCollider 3.9dev.  i set up a remote server today and cannot seem to get pbind to make sound.

on my server i do the following:
set env vars:
export SC_JACK_DEFAULT_INPUTS="system"
export SC_JACK_DEFAULT_OUTPUTS="system"

run scsynth:
scsynth -u 57110

on the client:
start sclang from vim with :SCLangStart
eval:
Server.default = t = Server.remote(\remote, NetAddr("192.168.0.114", 57110));
t.initTree;

(
// a SynthDef
SynthDef(\test, { | out, freq = 440, amp = 0.1, nharms = 10, pan = 0, gate = 1 |
    var audio = Blip.ar(freq, nharms, amp);
    var env = Linen.kr(gate, doneAction: 2);
    OffsetOut.ar(out, Pan2.ar(audio, pan, env) );
}).add;
)

Pbind(\instrument, \test, \freq, Prand([1, 1.2, 2, 2.5, 3, 4], inf) * 200, \dur, 0.1).play;

...and i hear nothing!  if i evaluate the synth def it plays just fine on the server.  no errors in sclang or scsynth.  I must fundamentally be misunderstanding some aspect of this...

Re: patterns on remote server

ddw_music
Shivers Null wrote
i'm on arch linux using SuperCollider 3.9dev.  i set up a remote server
today and cannot seem to get pbind to make sound.
The code generally looks ok. Setting Server.default should be enough to send the messages to the right place.

"if i evaluate the synth def it plays just fine on the server" -- I suppose you mean you did Synth(\test...). The difference between that and patterns is that events (from patterns) use a latency value to calculate a timestamp, while Synth() does not. If the system clock on the remote server is significantly earlier than the sending client, then the timestamp sent with the bundle will be later than the server expects, and the server won't run the message until much later.

I'm not an expert on this myself, but there are some quark extensions to help -- Republic may be one? Look for quarks about group networked performances (for which case clock sync is important).

Re: patterns on remote server

Shivers Null
17 minutes after I sent the patterns to the server - after I had given up and put my client laptop away, sound started pouring out of the speakers!  My two little girls sat bolt upright screaming, the cat nearly died of fright and my dog still won't go near the speakers...  haha you nailed it.  I had forgotten to sync my dev box with ntp and it was 17 minutes ahead!  Everything is working perfectly now, thank you so much!  My kids are still mad at me though...

Shivers Null wrote