Quantcast

proposed guitar effect

Henricus J. Holtman
I want to create a guitar effect, using a (part of a) sound file that
plays when there's guitar input. Ideally the guitar effect will for
every note played, play the tape loop, matched in pitch to the guitar
note. When the guitar note stops, it's corresponding sound
clip stops too. My imagined effect works for polyphonic guitar input too.

When can you tell when a guitar note stops particularly in a polyphonic
setting?

Will Pitch UGens work to sort out each Pitch in a polyphonic setting?

Will Pitch UGens figure out such things as bending?

Thanks for your attention

--
"Life is just a game, you fly a paper plane, there is no aim." - Thunderclap Newman in Accidents

Re: proposed guitar effect

Nathan Ho
On 2017-02-15 19:18, Henricus J. Holtman wrote:

> I want to create a guitar effect, using a (part of a) sound file that
> plays when there's guitar input. Ideally the guitar effect will for
> every note played, play the tape loop, matched in pitch to the guitar
> note. When the guitar note stops, it's corresponding sound
> clip stops too. My imagined effect works for polyphonic guitar input
> too.
>

> When can you tell when a guitar note stops particularly in a polyphonic
> setting?
>
> Will Pitch UGens work to sort out each Pitch in a polyphonic setting?
>
> Will Pitch UGens figure out such things as bending?

Hi Henricus,

Pitch is monophonic, so it will not work here. There is no UGen in core
or sc3-plugins that does polyphonic pitch tracking, but Nick Collins has
a PolyPitch ugen here: http://composerprogrammer.com/code.html  You will
have to build it yourself, unless you're specifically using SC 3.6 on
macOS. I can help with that if needed.

If PolyPitch is insufficient for your needs, then sorry, you're going to
have to write your own. There's a good amount of published research out
there if you want to implement an existing algorithm. Keep in mind,
however, that polyphonic pitch tracking is considered an unresolved
problem in the audio DSP world. It's one of those problems where the
quality of the solution depends on how much effort you want to put into
it.

Nathan

Re: proposed guitar effect

j-3-3
You could look into using a hexaphonic pickup:

Then at least each string could be processed separately.

On 02/15/2017 09:26 PM, Nathan Ho wrote:

> On 2017-02-15 19:18, Henricus J. Holtman wrote:
>> I want to create a guitar effect, using a (part of a) sound file that
>> plays when there's guitar input. Ideally the guitar effect will for
>> every note played, play the tape loop, matched in pitch to the guitar
>> note. When the guitar note stops, it's corresponding sound
>> clip stops too. My imagined effect works for polyphonic guitar input
>> too.
>>

>> When can you tell when a guitar note stops particularly in a
>> polyphonic setting?
>>
>> Will Pitch UGens work to sort out each Pitch in a polyphonic setting?
>>
>> Will Pitch UGens figure out such things as bending?
>
> Hi Henricus,
>
> Pitch is monophonic, so it will not work here. There is no UGen in
> core or sc3-plugins that does polyphonic pitch tracking, but Nick
> Collins has a PolyPitch ugen here:
> http://composerprogrammer.com/code.html  You will have to build it
> yourself, unless you're specifically using SC 3.6 on macOS. I can help
> with that if needed.
I'm compiling for Linux (ubuntu studio), what do I do?

On 2017-02-17 00:11, Henricus J. Holtman wrote:
> I'm compiling for Linux (ubuntu studio), what do I do?

Hi Henricus,

Right now I'm heading out the door and don't have time to fix this
myself, but the first step is to the build system so it uses CMake. I
suggest copying a CMakeLists.txt out of this repository and adapting:

https://github.com/supercollider/example-plugins

The README for this repo also has build instructions.

I gave it a quick try and are still some compilation issues to sort out.
notably, there's some vDSP stuff that will need to be ported

Nathan

Re: proposed guitar effect

Henricus J. Holtman
I looked at the PolyPitch.zip and the CMakeLists.txt recommended but am
very much a fish out of water here. I am using
currently a precompiled SuperCollider (3.6.6), though I have, in the
past, compiled SuperCollider before on another machine.
I probably should try compiling a more up to date SuperCollider for
lately added features.

Should get the packages all loaded in for compiling SuperCollider as the
first step to compiling PolyPitch.zip?

Where is the instructions for the above (Linux, ubuntu studio)?

Even after this I probably won't be able to do this (compilingwithout
help...

On 2017-02-25 00:42, Henricus J. Holtman wrote:

> I looked at the PolyPitch.zip and the CMakeLists.txt recommended but
> am very much a fish out of water here. I am using
> currently a precompiled SuperCollider (3.6.6), though I have, in the
> past, compiled SuperCollider before on another machine.
> I probably should try compiling a more up to date SuperCollider for
> lately added features.
>
> Should get the packages all loaded in for compiling SuperCollider as
> the first step to compiling PolyPitch.zip?
>
> Where is the instructions for the above (Linux, ubuntu studio)?
>
> Even after this I probably won't be able to do this (compilingwithout
> help...

Hi Henricus,

Luckily for you, you do *not* need to compile SuperCollider. You just
need a copy of the source code that matches your current version. The
plugin build system will only read the C++ headers for the plugin
interface.

I've updated the linked document to clarify this.

Nathan

Re: proposed guitar effect

Henricus J. Holtman
I believe the 'dev' packages contain header info. Should I load them (I
believe you can either
have the regular package or the dev package but not both)?

On 2017-02-25 15:52, Henricus J. Holtman wrote:
> I believe the 'dev' packages contain header info. Should I load them?

I recall that you're using Ubuntu -- by "packages" do you mean apt
repositories? If that's how you installed SC, then go ahead and do
"apt-get install supercollider-dev."

> (I believe you can either have the regular package or the dev package
> but not both)?

No, you can have both.

Nathan