"python myscript.py".unixCmd

kewping

Anyone have good example/tutorial for "python myscript.py".unixCmd

One of the reader said "Run python as a subprocess of SC, e.g. "python
myscript.py".unixCmd. "

This is because part of my code written in SC and python.

Re: "python myscript.py".unixCmd

ebsh
Hi,

The String "python myscript.py“ is the command you want to execute with your system’s standard shell.
unixCmd is an instance method of the String class, documented here:

The method name suggests that it doesn’t work on windows.

A simple example might look like this:

In SuperCollider write:

"python ~/Desktop/hello_sc.py“.unixCmd;

The python script is expected to be sitting on the Desktop in this example, with a name of "hello_sc.py"
It could contain something simple like this:
#!/usr/bin/env python2
print("Hello SuperCollider")
print("This is the second Line")

If you want to get something back from your script, you can use .unixCmdGetStdOut or .unixCmdGetStdOutLines.
With the example script, the later would return an array of two elements (the two lines printed by the python script).

a = "python3 ~/Desktop/hello_sc.py".unixCmdGetStdOutLines;
a.postln;
// -> [ Hello SuperCollider, This is the second Line ]

If you want to pass arguments into the script you could use string formating in SuperCollider (see http://doc.sccode.org/Classes/String.html#-format )

~myFirstArgument = 1234 // Whatever you want to pass in
"python3 ~/Desktop/hello_sc.py %".format(~myFirstArgument).unixCmd;

and on the python side you would use one of the several options to parse command line arguments.
Here’s a quick one:

#!/usr/bin/env python2
import sys
if len(sys.argv) > 1:
print( "Your first argument was {}".format(sys.argv[1]) )
print("Hello SuperCollider“)
print("This is the second Line")

I think that’s pretty much it. ._.

Best,
Eric

Am 03.01.2018 um 18:40 schrieb [hidden email]:

Anyone have good example/tutorial for "python myscript.py".unixCmd

One of the reader said "Run python as a subprocess of SC, e.g. "python
myscript.py".unixCmd. "

This is because part of my code written in SC and python.

Re: "python myscript.py".unixCmd

lavaramano
Hi,
If by chance you'd like to "pipe" python code through sc code, you
could use Pipe (http://doc.sccode.org/Classes/Pipe.html)
This is a quick-and-dirty example (adapted from a fluidsynth interface
i wrote) that could be useful:
https://gist.github.com/lvm/c5af0ce6d79725c5d6f18c42ee55096e

Saludos,
Mauro

On Wed, Jan 3, 2018 at 6:19 PM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>

> The String "python myscript.py“ is the command you want to execute with your
> system’s standard shell.
> unixCmd is an instance method of the String class, documented here:
> http://doc.sccode.org/Classes/String.html#-unixCmd
>
> The method name suggests that it doesn’t work on windows.
>
> A simple example might look like this:
>
> In SuperCollider write:
>
> "python ~/Desktop/hello_sc.py“.unixCmd;
>

> The python script is expected to be sitting on the Desktop in this example,
> with a name of "hello_sc.py"
> It could contain something simple like this:
> #!/usr/bin/env python2
> print("Hello SuperCollider")
> print("This is the second Line")
>

> If you want to get something back from your script, you can use
> .unixCmdGetStdOut or .unixCmdGetStdOutLines.
> With the example script, the later would return an array of two elements
> (the two lines printed by the python script).
>
> a = "python3 ~/Desktop/hello_sc.py".unixCmdGetStdOutLines;
> a.postln;
> // -> [ Hello SuperCollider, This is the second Line ]
>
> If you want to pass arguments into the script you could use string formating
> in SuperCollider (see http://doc.sccode.org/Classes/String.html#-format )
>
> ~myFirstArgument = 1234 // Whatever you want to pass in
> "python3 ~/Desktop/hello_sc.py %".format(~myFirstArgument).unixCmd;
>
> and on the python side you would use one of the several options to parse
> command line arguments.
> Here’s a quick one:
>
> #!/usr/bin/env python2
> import sys
> if len(sys.argv) > 1:
> print( "Your first argument was {}".format(sys.argv[1]) )
> print("Hello SuperCollider“)
> print("This is the second Line")
>

> I think that’s pretty much it. ._.
>
> Best,
> Eric

> Anyone have good example/tutorial for "python myscript.py".unixCmd
>
> One of the reader said "Run python as a subprocess of SC, e.g. "python
> myscript.py".unixCmd. "
>
> This is because part of my code written in SC and python.
>

> --
> Sent from:

Re: "python myscript.py".unixCmd

ebsh wrote
> The method name suggests that it doesn’t work on windows.

The method name "unixCmd" is purely historical, from a time when SC existed
only for Mac and the only system commands you could execute were Unix ones.

When the first Windows version arrived, the developer who ported it *did*
write a primitive to forward DOS shell commands to the system... but (for
good or ill) kept the name "unixCmd" and now we're kind of stuck with it.

So... you *can* do

"dir".unixCmd

... in Windows and it will work. "dir" isn't Unixy, but in this case you
have to read the code the way computers do, not the way humans do.

Devs: Maybe it's time finally to deprecate and rename it? This bit of
folklore ("'unixCmd' isn't for Windows") just won't die... and it's because
we're keeping a semantically incorrect method name around.

The two methods should really be called "asyncSystemCmd" and
"synchronousSystemCmd" or some such. The distinction is not between Unix and
"systems" in general -- it's between forking the subprocess or blocking SC
to wait for it.

Re: "python myscript.py".unixCmd

brianlheim
I would be in favor of such a deprecation.

-Brian

On Jan 3, 2018 6:41 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
ebsh wrote
> The method name suggests that it doesn’t work on windows.

The method name "unixCmd" is purely historical, from a time when SC existed
only for Mac and the only system commands you could execute were Unix ones.

When the first Windows version arrived, the developer who ported it *did*
write a primitive to forward DOS shell commands to the system... but (for
good or ill) kept the name "unixCmd" and now we're kind of stuck with it.

So... you *can* do

"dir".unixCmd

... in Windows and it will work. "dir" isn't Unixy, but in this case you
have to read the code the way computers do, not the way humans do.

Devs: Maybe it's time finally to deprecate and rename it? This bit of
folklore ("'unixCmd' isn't for Windows") just won't die... and it's because
we're keeping a semantically incorrect method name around.

The two methods should really be called "asyncSystemCmd" and
"synchronousSystemCmd" or some such. The distinction is not between Unix and
"systems" in general -- it's between forking the subprocess or blocking SC
to wait for it.

Re: "python myscript.py".unixCmd

kewping
I had tried this below, but still not working. (I am using SC and ipython
installed in Window 10)

My ipython is working:

//
//
//
//using unixCmd
//
//My file name is "hello_sc.ipynb"
//My file Location is "C:\Users\ID917977\Desktop\python"
//

python "~/Desktop/python/hello_sc.py".unixCmd
python "C:\Users\ID917977\Desktop\python\hello_sc.py".unixCmd
python "C:/Users/ID917977/Desktop/python/hello_sc.py".unixCmd
python "~/Desktop/python/hello_sc.ipynb".unixCmd

*All not working and give error:*
ERROR: syntax error, unexpected STRING, expecting $end
  in file 'selected text'
  line 1 char 53:

  python "C:\Users\ID917977\Desktop\python\hello_sc.py".unixCmd
-----------------------------------
ERROR: Command line parse failed
-> nil
ERROR: syntax error, unexpected STRING, expecting $end
  in file 'selected text'
  line 1 char 40:

  python "~/Desktop/python/hello_sc.ipynb".unixCmd
          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
-----------------------------------
ERROR: Command line parse failed
-> nil

Re: "python myscript.py".unixCmd

5tefan

Am 2018-01-04 um 19:31 schrieb [hidden email]:
> python "~/Desktop/python/hello_sc.py".unixCmd

try

"python ~/Desktop/python/hello_sc.py".unixCmd;

... there is no command in sclang to invoke python - that has to be part
of the string you're passing to .unixCmd

hth, Stefan

Re: "python myscript.py".unixCmd

kewping
Thank you!

It worked!

"python ~/Desktop/python/hello_sc.py".unixCmd

-> 10884
RESULT = 2

However, when I want to print it.

a = "python ~/Desktop/python/hello_sc.py".unixCmdGetStdOutLines;
a.postln;
-> [  ]
[  ]
-> [  ]

Re: "python myscript.py".unixCmd

ebsh
Hi,
If you get a result = 2
I think either the System doesn't find the file, or something in your script goes wrong, or your shell doesn't understand the python command.

Try invoking the command in the cmd shell directly to see what's going wrong.

Best,
Eric

Am 4. Jan. 2018, 19:55 +0100 schrieb [hidden email]:
Thank you!

It worked!

"python ~/Desktop/python/hello_sc.py".unixCmd

-> 10884
RESULT = 2

However, when I want to print it.

a = "python ~/Desktop/python/hello_sc.py".unixCmdGetStdOutLines;
a.postln;
-> [ ]
[ ]
-> [ ]

Re: "python myscript.py".unixCmd

yorgos diapoulis
Hi,

you can try to write your python script as the following example, but it is not the most handy way to do that.  Beware python indentation.  You have to start your python program from the very 1st column in sclang.

(
format("
python -c %import platform
print(platform.python_version())%
", '"'.asString, '"'.asString).unixCmd

If you get a result = 2
I think either the System doesn't find the file, or something in your script goes wrong, or your shell doesn't understand the python command.

Try invoking the command in the cmd shell directly to see what's going wrong.

Best,
Eric

Am 4. Jan. 2018, 19:55 +0100 schrieb [hidden email]:
Thank you!

It worked!

"python ~/Desktop/python/hello_sc.py".unixCmd

-> 10884
RESULT = 2

However, when I want to print it.

a = "python ~/Desktop/python/hello_sc.py".unixCmdGetStdOutLines;
a.postln;
-> [ ]
[ ]
-> [ ]

Re: "python myscript.py".unixCmd

prko
(
format("
python -c %import platform
print(platform.python_version())%
", '"'.asString, '"'.asString).unixCmd
)

Could the multi-line strings be implemented in sclang?
Then the code can be simplified as follows:

'''
python -c "import platform; print(platform.python_version())"
'''.unixCmd
or

"""
python -c "import platform; print(platform.python_version())"
""".unixCmd

in

Re: "python myscript.py".unixCmd

in
I tried this with a small python script:
----
print("Hej!")
print(" Ett, tva. tre: fyra;")
----
And got:

"python reine.py".unixCmd;
Hej!
  Ett, tva. tre: fyra;
RESULT = 0

a = "python reine.py".unixCmdGetStdOut;
-> Hej!
  Ett, tva. tre: fyra;

a = "python reine.py".unixCmdGetStdOutLines;
-> [ Hej!,  Ett, tva. tre: fyra; ]

However, when i included the letters å, ä, or ö (from the swedish alphabet)
in the pyhonscript i got:

----
print("Hej!")
print(" Etöt, tva. tre: fyra;")
---

"python reine.py".unixCmd;
-> 3606
RESULT = 1

a = "python reine.py".unixCmdGetStdOut;
->

a = "python reine.py".unixCmdGetStdOutLines;
-> [  ]

Seems like it's sensitive to what letters i use.
I'm on Linux, Debian.

Reine

On 2018-01-04 19:31, [hidden email] wrote:

> I had tried this below, but still not working. (I am using SC and ipython
> installed in Window 10)
>
> My ipython is working:

> //
> //
> //
> //using unixCmd
> //
> //My file name is "hello_sc.ipynb"
> //My file Location is "C:\Users\ID917977\Desktop\python"
> //
>
> python "~/Desktop/python/hello_sc.py".unixCmd
> python "C:\Users\ID917977\Desktop\python\hello_sc.py".unixCmd
> python "C:/Users/ID917977/Desktop/python/hello_sc.py".unixCmd
> python "~/Desktop/python/hello_sc.ipynb".unixCmd
>

> *All not working and give error:*
> ERROR: syntax error, unexpected STRING, expecting $end
>    in file 'selected text'
>    line 1 char 53:
>
>    python "C:\Users\ID917977\Desktop\python\hello_sc.py".unixCmd
>                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> -----------------------------------
> ERROR: Command line parse failed
> -> nil
> ERROR: syntax error, unexpected STRING, expecting $end
>    in file 'selected text'
>    line 1 char 40:
>
>    python "~/Desktop/python/hello_sc.ipynb".unixCmd
>            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> -----------------------------------
> ERROR: Command line parse failed
> -> nil

Re: "python myscript.py".unixCmd

ebsh
Hi,

this is more a python question, but anyways:
you have to declare the encoding of your script in the header if you want to use something else then ascii.

example:

#!/usr/bin/env python2
# -*- coding: utf-8 -*-

print("äö“)

Best,
Eric

> I tried this with a small python script:
> ----
> print("Hej!")
> print(" Ett, tva. tre: fyra;")
> ----
> And got:
>
> "python reine.py".unixCmd;
> Hej!
>  Ett, tva. tre: fyra;
> RESULT = 0
>
> a = "python reine.py".unixCmdGetStdOut;
> -> Hej!
>  Ett, tva. tre: fyra;
>
> a = "python reine.py".unixCmdGetStdOutLines;
> -> [ Hej!,  Ett, tva. tre: fyra; ]
>
> However, when i included the letters å, ä, or ö (from the swedish alphabet)
> in the pyhonscript i got:
>
> ----
> print("Hej!")
> print(" Etöt, tva. tre: fyra;")
> ---
>
> "python reine.py".unixCmd;
> -> 3606
> RESULT = 1
>
> a = "python reine.py".unixCmdGetStdOut;
> ->
>
> a = "python reine.py".unixCmdGetStdOutLines;
> -> [  ]
>
> Seems like it's sensitive to what letters i use.
> I'm on Linux, Debian.
>
> Reine
>

> On 2018-01-04 19:31, [hidden email] wrote:
>> I had tried this below, but still not working. (I am using SC and ipython
>> installed in Window 10)
>>
>> My ipython is working:

>> //
>> //
>> //
>> //using unixCmd
>> //
>> //My file name is "hello_sc.ipynb"
>> //My file Location is "C:\Users\ID917977\Desktop\python"
>> //
>>
>> python "~/Desktop/python/hello_sc.py".unixCmd
>> python "C:\Users\ID917977\Desktop\python\hello_sc.py".unixCmd
>> python "C:/Users/ID917977/Desktop/python/hello_sc.py".unixCmd
>> python "~/Desktop/python/hello_sc.ipynb".unixCmd
>>

>> *All not working and give error:*
>> ERROR: syntax error, unexpected STRING, expecting $end
>>   in file 'selected text'
>>   line 1 char 53:
>>
>>   python "C:\Users\ID917977\Desktop\python\hello_sc.py".unixCmd
>>                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>> -----------------------------------
>> ERROR: Command line parse failed
>> -> nil
>> ERROR: syntax error, unexpected STRING, expecting $end
>>   in file 'selected text'
>>   line 1 char 40:
>>
>>   python "~/Desktop/python/hello_sc.ipynb".unixCmd
>>           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>> -----------------------------------
>> ERROR: Command line parse failed
>> -> nil

Re: "python myscript.py".unixCmd

kewping
Thank you very much for the advice.

It worked on cmd python script (file name xxx.py), but not working on
ipython notebook (xxx.ipynb).

-> 13372
Hello SuperCollider
This is the second Line test