sc-dev Meeting Minutes 2017-12-30

Nathan Ho
2017-12-30
==========

Members Present:

Nathan, Patrick

Discussion Topics:

- 3.9.0-rc1 needs to be announced to Facebook...
- Currently waiting for users to test 3.9.0-rc1. If all goes well, we
will make a decision on January 6th
- Merged last remaining PR for 3.8.1.
- Fragmentation of SC community across different platforms.
- Would be a good idea to revive sc-dev and have more in-depth
discussions on the list instead of on GitHub.
- We should announce major PRs to the list and regular updates about
what we're working on.
- Decided against creating a 3.9.1 branch for simplicity. 3.9.1 patches
can wait until the 3.9.0 release.
- Speed of release schedule can be improved by being less choosy about
what needs to go into each release. If something holds back the release
instead of pushing it forward, it needs to be delayed.
- Patrick redesigned the download page for the website to be up to date
for Linux users.
- Nathan has been working on Debian packaging but has mostly been
hitting dead ends.
- Bela port of SuperCollider has diverged considerably from core, we
need to consider what to merge in.
- Future website redesign could probably be done as a quick weekend
project.

Re: sc-dev Meeting Minutes 2017-12-30

julian.rohrhuber

> On 31.12.2017, at 02:01, [hidden email] wrote:
>
> - Would be a good idea to revive sc-dev and have more in-depth discussions on the list instead of on GitHub.
> - We should announce major PRs to the list and regular updates about what we're working on.

a very good idea! Is there some kind of mail hook that can be used to do such posts from gitpub?

Re: sc-dev Meeting Minutes 2017-12-30

> On 31 Dec 2017, at 10:42, <[hidden email]> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> On 31.12.2017, at 02:01, [hidden email] wrote:
>>
>> - Would be a good idea to revive sc-dev and have more in-depth discussions on the list instead of on GitHub.
>> - We should announce major PRs to the list and regular updates about what we're working on.
>
> a very good idea! Is there some kind of mail hook that can be used to do such posts from gitpub?

I think we used to have this in the early Github days, but people found it an annoying duplication. If opinion has changed though I can manually subscribe any address or give it posting rights.

On a related issue, I commented a couple of days ago about some GC stuff here, and I’m not sure how widely this comes through: https://github.com/supercollider/supercollider/issues/1634

I have some time now that I could give to this, but it’s tricky, and I could use the brains of those with better (and more up-to-date) C++ skills. If anybody has time that would be helpful. I have other things to do as well (20 mins of orchestra, SC and video to finish in the coming months) so I don’t need to, but GC enhancements are in some ways unexciting work, and the issue has already been untouched for over 2 years.

S.

Re: sc-dev Meeting Minutes 2017-12-30

julian.rohrhuber

> On 31.12.2017, at 11:20, [hidden email] wrote:
>
> I think we used to have this in the early Github days, but people found it an annoying duplication. If opinion has changed though I can manually subscribe any address or give it posting rights.

Yes - I wondered how to only send *specific* topics to the list, not all of them.

Re: sc-dev Meeting Minutes 2017-12-30

Scott Wilson-3
Ah sorry for the misunderstanding!