Quantcast

standalone question

brian heim
(cross-post with sc-dev)

Hi all,

I am working with some older code in the SuperCollider backend for the upcoming 3.9 release, and keep running across double references to "standalone" apps. As I understand it, there are two different concepts in play:

1. a runtime option, -a, that you can pass to sclang in order to make it ignore the default class library compilation directories
2. a build option, something like "cmake -D standalone:string=MyFabApp", which, on macOS, causes SuperCollider to be built as an .app bundle with a user-supplied name. Things built this way also behave similarly to if you passed the -a option at runtime, but there may be other nuances.

I am mainly wondering if anyone uses (2) or if it still even works, because it potentially mean a big cleanup if we could safely drop that code. I am relatively new to the project, and I'm aware that development around that has changed significantly with the last few releases, but I can't find any definitive answer in the documentation or in previous discussions.

Thanks in advance,

--
-brian

_______________________________
Brian Heim | computer musician & programmer

Re: standalone question

Dionysis Athinaios
I would love to know what is happening with the standalone options at the moment. I am maintaining this standalone format for OSX (and Miguel Negrao does the same for Linux):

https://github.com/dathinaios/sc_osx_standalone

I really thought that was the most elegant way of having a standalone but with 3.7  and 3.8 there are issues with linking the QT libraries (see FAQ at the bottom of the page linked above) which I do not understand.

I would really really really love to get this working for 3.8….

Re: standalone question

Miguel Negrão
Hi Dionysis,

There is an ongoing discussion in the dev list, although no conclusions
reached yet.

Best,
Miguel

On 16-05-2017 19:36, [hidden email] wrote:

> I would love to know what is happening with the standalone options at
> the moment. I am maintaining this standalone format for OSX (and
> Miguel Negrao does the same for Linux):
>
> https://github.com/dathinaios/sc_osx_standalone
>
> I really thought that was the most elegant way of having a standalone
> but with 3.7  and 3.8 there are issues with linking the QT libraries
> (see FAQ at the bottom of the page linked above) which I do not
> understand.
>
> I would really really really love to get this working for 3.8….

Re: standalone question

Dionysis Athinaios
Thank you Miguel. Will check it out.